There is insufficient sys memory in resource pool 'internal' to run this query

• Hi All,

I have an issue with production server , from SQL error log I can see "There is insufficient system memory in resource pool 'internal' to run this query.

when i check the memory usage for 1 month , it is like around 35% everyday

and also min memory is 1 GB and max memory is 12 GB . Total physical memory is 16 GB

Wondering what could be the cause of this error message

appreciate your kind feedback

thank you

• It means pretty much what it says. The query you're attempting to run needs more memory than is available. I did a bunch of reading on this. It's largely a combination of a couple of things. You're on 2012 and memory management has improved, a ton, in newer versions of SQL Server, so an upgrade may fix this issue for you. Second, your code is probably problematic and attempting to do stuff, on very large amounts of data, that it shouldn't. There may be better specifics to say about this, if we had specifics to go, but bad code will lead to this problem.

That's about all I have based on what you provided.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Spot on, Grant.  Especially with only 12GB of RAM available.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply