The Younger Generation

• lloding (3/24/2016)

mjh 45389 (3/24/2016)

On a different tact I know that some younger people are discouraged from going into IT by its sheer ageism

I'm in my early 50s, just getting back to working full-time in IT after separating from my husband. I have 2 big black "X"s already. I'm over 50 and I'm running on rusty skills.

Thankfully, I have a good friend who is throwing me some contract work, but I need to get back to receiving a regular pay check. That's a possibility here, however, I would have to move to the state I left 16 years ago, and I really don't like it there.

The good thing is you have some work which is good for your CV. I was out of work for over a year and this can skew the conversation to “what have you been doing with yourself” or “how have you been keeping your skills up to date” instead of discussing you and what you can offer! I started getting more interviews when I became an IT volunteer for a charity. Whilst it was often the dregs the full timers wanted to avoid they also avoid the really challenging which was good for me. The sad thing was I did an e-mail/internet audit and found a lot of misuse which the manager was reluctant to act upon in case it upset full time/part time/volunteer staff. As I pointed out to him it might come back to haunt you!

• mjh 45389 (3/30/2016)

...continuous pressure on testing, passing exams and league tables children are often not really taught to learn but purely to pass tests/exams...

Totally agree. People are less concerned with doing the right thing than concerned with being seen to be doing the right thing.

Funnily enough, it is the same with driving instructors.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Gary Varga (3/30/2016)

mjh 45389 (3/30/2016)

...continuous pressure on testing, passing exams and league tables children are often not really taught to learn but purely to pass tests/exams...

Totally agree. People are less concerned with doing the right thing than concerned with being seen to be doing the right thing.

Funnily enough, it is the same with driving instructors.

It's probably why so many do not grasp the relationship between engine speed, gear selected and road speed. I started on a Honda SS50 sports moped and if you got those badly wrong it spat you off!

• It's not just the "younger generation", whatever that is (they're all younger than me lately). Going back to the interviews I've been conducting, there are people of all generations that don't even know what the "right thing" is, never mind being perceived as doing the "right thing".

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• 😎

• Jeff Moden (3/30/2016)

It's not just the "younger generation"...

Agreed.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Gary Varga (3/31/2016)

Jeff Moden (3/30/2016)

Agreed.

All comes down to passion really.

As a younger guy, I'm starting to lose count in how many people fail to know the answer simply because they lack the passion to learn more. They just come in, do their job and leave. The eager to learn is non-existent.

Like I tell my non-tech co-workers. What I do is not rocket science. Any one of you can do what I do if you simply take the time to learn about it.

It's not age or having a special gift. It's just lack of passion.

• xsevensinzx (3/31/2016)

Gary Varga (3/31/2016)

Jeff Moden (3/30/2016)

Agreed.

All comes down to passion really.

As a younger guy, I'm starting to lose count in how many people fail to know the answer simply because they lack the passion to learn more. They just come in, do their job and leave. The eager to learn is non-existent.

Like I tell my non-tech co-workers. What I do is not rocket science. Any one of you can do what I do if you simply take the time to learn about it.

It's not age or having a special gift. It's just lack of passion.

Where I worked a few years ago they employed a Business Studies/IT graduate in a support role. There was an overnight report that highlighted any database errors. These were trivial to fix and despite multiple attempts he never got the hang of it and would comment "this is all very confusing". In reality I think his interest in IT was limited to FaceAche and E-Bay. He left to become a social worker! I always wondered what had been covered in his degree. I know mine and the subsequent masters have been seriously dumbed down!

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply