The Vacation Struggle

• david.wright-948385 (7/15/2013)

belowery (7/12/2013)

That's one of the things I think about when I do get frustrated and think of leaving. I know I won't get that from the start any where else.

Holiday is something you should bear in mind when negotiating for a new job - it's surprising what you can get as perks when the headline salary is pretty much fixed.

I've thought about that and I've said that to my wife but she doesn't think it would happen. I keep saying if I look now, while I have a good job, I could use what I have now as leverage for getting more at the new job.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• belowery (7/15/2013)

david.wright-948385 (7/15/2013)

belowery (7/12/2013)

That's one of the things I think about when I do get frustrated and think of leaving. I know I won't get that from the start any where else.

Holiday is something you should bear in mind when negotiating for a new job - it's surprising what you can get as perks when the headline salary is pretty much fixed.

I've thought about that and I've said that to my wife but she doesn't think it would happen. I keep saying if I look now, while I have a good job, I could use what I have now as leverage for getting more at the new job.

Absolutely. If a potential employer knows they have to tempt you away from a job you're in, they'll need to offer more in the way of salary and/or benefits. Interesting what David said - I usually find that employers are more flexible on salary than holidays. This is unfortunate for me, since I've refused to consider many opportunities because they don't give enough time off.

John

• belowery (7/15/2013)

I've said that to my wife but she doesn't think it would happen. I keep saying if I look now, while I have a good job, I could use what I have now as leverage for getting more at the new job.

That's exactly how it works. Be good at what you do, have a good reason why you want to move on (ie one the new employer doesn't see themselves suffering from, and one that doesn't make you look bad!) and you're almost in the head-hunted category.

John Mitchell-245523 (7/15/2013)

Interesting what David said - I usually find that employers are more flexible on salary than holidays.

John

I guess it depends how flexible they are. Iit does vary a lot, and flexibility says a lot about how good they're going to be to work for.

• All told I get 24 days a year PTO National and state holidays, and 12 days sick. I can accumulate as much sick as I can but can only accumulate 240 hrs PTO before I start to loose it at the next anniversary date. FYI - I have been with the same company for the last 28+ years straight and almost five years in a separate stretch before that.

I take all the time off that I earn and would take more if it were available. At 64 and having been in the field for the majority of the last 42 years, I have kept both the faith and the vision. But the first five were followed by a season of burnout. Had I taken the time off that I had earned and played more, that burnout would probably not happened.

No one, even your boss wants you to work yourself to death, so play whenever you are able. And if you are not able to play when you need to, you need to change where you work.

Miles...

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Thanks Steve. I find myself sitting at a crossroads right now to either take vacation or not. I really need to take that vacation. 😀

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply