The Team You Want

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Team You Want

• If I am interviewing for a new position, I always ask if I can be shown round the office and see some of the team. Whether existing people are interested about you and are welcoming and willing to engage is a big indication as to how likely they are to behave as colleagues. On the flipside, if my company is hiring I make a point of saying 'hi' to interviewees even if I'm not involved in the recruitment process.

• Its important to remember that you have to want them, they have to want you.  Just like any other relationship.

In the UK, demand for tech jobs is strong so the pressure to accept a job is not as great as in some industries.

One aspect of teamwork is giving open and honest feedback to team members.  Sometimes that can be hard, but you do nobody any favours if you shy away from it.  I've been fortunate to work with folk who don't shy away from giving such feedback.  The  manner in which it is given is the important thing and it must be unambiguous.  I have a painful memory of someone who thought they were doing a wonderful job until they found themselves on a competency based disciplinary.  Their manager's previous approach had been completely misinterpreted.

• DavidJParsons wrote:

If I am interviewing for a new position, I always ask if I can be shown round the office and see some of the team. Whether existing people are interested about you and are welcoming and willing to engage is a big indication as to how likely they are to behave as colleagues. On the flipside, if my company is hiring I make a point of saying 'hi' to interviewees even if I'm not involved in the recruitment process.

I absolutely agree.  The trouble is, they just don't have the time to do that with all the applicants.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• DavidJParsons wrote:

If I am interviewing for a new position, I always ask if I can be shown round the office and see some of the team. Whether existing people are interested about you and are welcoming and willing to engage is a big indication as to how likely they are to behave as colleagues. On the flipside, if my company is hiring I make a point of saying 'hi' to interviewees even if I'm not involved in the recruitment process.

I always want to meet people I'll work with. Way more important than the job

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply