The SSIS Data Pump - Level 2 of the Stairway to Integration Services

• great article and easy to follow.. cannot wait to see the next ones. thanks a lot.

• Hi Andy,

I wish i had got your article back when I started working with SSIS 2.5 years ago. A great article. It covers great detail and is yet simple for all to understand. I also found myself looking for Step: 3. lol!!! In fact I will spread the word of your work. I'm certain my team member can benefit from your articles.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next installment.

Aquila Hanise

BI Developer

South Africa

• Another great article Andy!

I found it very nice that you gave some attention to the layout of the package, as unfortunately, messy control and data flows do appear in books or blog posts. 🙂

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• An Excellent article Andy. I am a beginner of SSIS and this article makes me everything so clear and easy. I am really waiting forward for next articles.

• Fine and professional article, thanks! It has been well written and easy to follow. A great resource for starting out with SSIS.

• Thanks Everyone!

Half the credit (minimum) goes to The Best Editor On The Planet: Steve Jones.

:{>

Andy Leonard, Chief Data Engineer, Enterprise Data & Analytics

• Andy, thanks for taking the time and effort to write something like this. It is a very interesting read for me, who are just coming into the BI-world.

As a side note, why do you recommend using the OLE DB Destination over SQL Server Destination in the Data Flow Task? Are there any main differences between the two (when working with MS SQL Server 2008R2)?

• Hi rrn 62873,

Thank you for your kind words.

You will find some outdated SSIS advice that recommends using the SQL Server Destination instead of the OLE DB Destination. When that advice was originally offered, it was sound (somewhat). Since SQL Server 2005 SP2 (or so), OLE DB functionality has been improved. You get roughly the same performance loading SQL Server from either Destination. OLE DB is more stable (meaning it doesn't crash as much as the SQL Server Destination - especially under load) and is portable (to use the SQL Server Destination you muct execute the SSIS package on the same physical server as the Destination database). those are my reasons for recommending the OLE DB Destination over the SQL Server Destination.

Hope this helps,

Andy

• Hi Andy,

Thanks for making it crystal clear to me.

• Andy,

You meniton that connections are stored in your profile. Where is the profile?

"As you develop SSIS packages on a server, you create connections. The connections you create are stored in your profile and will appear in the Data Connections list in the Configure OLE DB Connection Manager list. If this is the first SSIS package you’ve built, your Data Connections list will be empty"

Thanks,

Thomas

Thomas LeBlanc, MVP Data Platform Consultant

• Hi Thomas,

I honestly don't know where the connections metadata is specifically stored, and I cannot recall who told me it was stored in the Users' profile. :\

• Thomas LeBlanc (11/9/2011)

Andy,

Hi Thomas

A quick dig round my registry uncovered this:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\Packages\{4a0c6509-bf90-43da-abee-0aba3a8527f1}\Settings\Data\Connections

Which contained a list of all the previously used connections which are displayed in the Data Connections dialogue box

The information about each connection i.e. server, DB, user etc... appears to be encrypted or at least obfuscated so I'm not sure what value you could derive from this.

• Samuel Vella (11/25/2011)

Thomas LeBlanc (11/9/2011)

Andy,

Hi Thomas

A quick dig round my registry uncovered this:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\Packages\{4a0c6509-bf90-43da-abee-0aba3a8527f1}\Settings\Data\Connections

Which contained a list of all the previously used connections which are displayed in the Data Connections dialogue box

The information about each connection i.e. server, DB, user etc... appears to be encrypted or at least obfuscated so I'm not sure what value you could derive from this.

Confirmed. Thank you Samuel!

:{>

• Hi Andy,

This was a very nice article with a very specific details. But I have got a very important question to ask and is been there for a quite a long time and am unable to resolve.

on Oledb source adapter through column pane, you select the required columns at design time. Hence SSIS knows which column we are interested in at design time only, but when you run the package at look at the profiler, the oledb source adapter always runs select * from table query. so

1) why it fires such query eventhough aware of selected columns at design time.

2) how do I create custom component to achieve this( Say I would want to work with table or view acccess mode).

• The OLE DB Source allows you to write a SELECT statement to only pull the columns you desire. I recommend always writing such a statement.

Hope this helps,

Andy

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply