The SELECT permission was denied on the object 'abc', database 'xyz', schema 'dbo'

• Chris Harshman - Wednesday, August 23, 2017 12:28 PM

here's an attempt to list all security associated to a specific login, it's AD groups, and any database roles they belong to:
    /* all permissions */
    --check for any AD groups
    CREATE TABLE #ADinfo (
        AccountName nvarchar(128),
        AccountType char(8), --user or group
        Privilege char(9), --admin, user, or null.
        MappedLogin nvarchar(128), --the mapped login name by using the mapped rules   
        PermissionPath nvarchar(128));

INSERT INTO #ADinfo EXEC xp_logininfo N'DomainName\UserName','all';

--lookup database roles and any permissions
    WITH member(principal_id, name) AS
       (SELECT u.principal_id, u.name
          FROM #ADinfo a
            INNER JOIN sys.database_principals u ON ISNULL(a.PermissionPath, a.MappedLogin) = u.name
        UNION ALL
        SELECT rm.role_principal_id, r.name
          FROM sys.database_role_members rm
            INNER JOIN sys.database_principals r ON rm.role_principal_id = r.principal_id
            INNER JOIN member m ON rm.member_principal_id = m.principal_id)
    SELECT m.name AS user_role, p.state_desc, p.permission_name, p.class_desc,
        CASE WHEN p.class_desc = 'OBJECT_OR_COLUMN' THEN SCHEMA_NAME(o.schema_id) ELSE s.name END AS schema_name, o.name AS object_name
      FROM (SELECT DISTINCT principal_id, name FROM member) m
        LEFT OUTER JOIN sys.database_permissions p ON m.principal_id = p.grantee_principal_id
        LEFT OUTER JOIN sys.objects o ON p.major_id = o.object_id AND p.class_desc = 'OBJECT_OR_COLUMN'
        LEFT OUTER JOIN sys.schemas s ON p.major_id = s.schema_id AND p.class_desc = 'SCHEMA'
      ORDER BY s.name, o.name, m.name;

DROP TABLE #ADinfo;
    just change the DomainName\Username in the call to xp_logininfo

Thanks a lot for the script. Chris i want to know in which all AD groups the user is member of. Could you please let me know how to get this information

• this command is the part that determines all the AD groups an AD user has database access through:
    EXEC xp_logininfo N'DomainName\UserName','all';

• Chris Harshman - Wednesday, August 23, 2017 7:10 PM

this command is the part that determines all the AD groups an AD user has database access through:

Hi Chris,

Here is the actual scenario: There is a windows user NTLAB\E15770 who is added to several AD groups. These AD Groups are created as logins in the server. Eg. [NTLAB\db-AFLAC_56_DEV-PROG-D], [NTLAB\db-AFLAC_56_DEV-DBO-D] and [NTLAB\db-AFLAC_56_DEV-R-D(These are WIndows Groups created as logins in the server. So, I want to know to which all AD Group logins the user belongs to. 

• EXEC xp_logininfo N'NTLAB\E15770','all';
    this should do that.  the user specified doesn't need to be directly created as a login or user in SQL Server, just have some access through an AD group
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/system-stored-procedures/xp-logininfo-transact-sql

• Chris Harshman - Wednesday, August 23, 2017 8:00 PM

EXEC xp_logininfo N'NTLAB\E15770','all';
    this should do that.  the user specified doesn't need to be directly created as a login or user in SQL Server, just have some access through an AD group
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/system-stored-procedures/xp-logininfo-transact-sql

Hi Chris,
    It is not returning any result. Could you please advise

• coolchaitu - Wednesday, August 23, 2017 7:55 PM

Chris Harshman - Wednesday, August 23, 2017 7:10 PM

this command is the part that determines all the AD groups an AD user has database access through:

Hi Chris,

Here is the actual scenario: There is a windows user NTLAB\E15770 who is added to several AD groups. These AD Groups are created as logins in the server. Eg. [NTLAB\db-AFLAC_56_DEV-PROG-D], [NTLAB\db-AFLAC_56_DEV-DBO-D] and [NTLAB\db-AFLAC_56_DEV-R-D(These are WIndows Groups created as logins in the server. So, I want to know to which all AD Group logins the user belongs to. 

It could be the "xp_logininfo" procedure doesn't return results because the account is not directly added to the groups that are a login in SQL. It could be the Windows AD groups that are added as login in SQL contain nested AD groups and these nested AD groups contain the actual users. This nesting can go several levels deep, depending on the design of your AD. Best option is to talk to your AD admin to view/list the (complete and nested) membership. I know there are Powershell scripts available on the web to list such nested membership, but I don't have actual links at hand.

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
  • HanShi - Thursday, August 24, 2017 4:49 AM

It could be the "xp_logininfo" procedure doesn't return results because the account is not directly added to the groups that are a login in SQL. It could be the Windows AD groups that are added as login in SQL contain nested AD groups and these nested AD groups contain the actual users. This nesting can go several levels deep, depending on the design of your AD. Best option is to talk to your AD admin to view/list the (complete and nested) membership. I know there are Powershell scripts available on the web to list such nested membership, but I don't have actual links at hand.

Powershell would be:
    Get-ADPrincipalGroupMembership Thom | Select name
    You may need to enable, and import some extra modules.
    Enable to module (you'll need to run this as local administrator)
    Add-WindowsFeature RSAT-AD-Powershell
    Import Activedirectory (do this in the same session as the first code:
    Import-Module ActiveDirectory

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Another option is to go to a DOS prompt and use this:

net user UserName /domain

If that doesn't work for you, your DBA or network administrator should be able to help you find the list of groups.

• Ed Wagner - Thursday, August 24, 2017 5:18 AM

Another option is to go to a DOS prompt and use this:

net user UserName /domain

If that doesn't work for you, your DBA or network administrator should be able to help you find the list of groups.

This worked Ed. Thanks a lot

• Did you run that statement in the database that you are checking permissions in?  Sorry, I guess I could have explained that better.

• Chris Harshman - Thursday, August 24, 2017 7:06 AM

Did you run that statement in the database that you are checking permissions in?  Sorry, I guess I could have explained that better.

I ran in command prompt. You explained very very well Chris. Thanks a lot.

• How about this user's access to other objects? Is this a new user, how was the behavior before?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply