The Randomness of Analog

• Preferring to read paper books only works if you discard or give them away most of them after reading or have an enormouse capacity for book storage.  When I got to the point where all the bookshelves in both my UK house and my Spanish house were double packed or worse (that's more than 600 feet of shelving (and with for double packing and books stacked sideways on top of rows of upright books it holds about as many books as 1500 feet of shelving with the books all single stacked upright would hold) I decided to switch to electronic. I've even started getting Kindle copies of books I want to keep so that I can give the paper copy away to various charities (the charity sells them on, and collects typically 25% of what it gets from such sales as a bonus from the inland revenue) and make space for me to use when I want to acquire a book which isn't yet available electronically.
    Fortunately a lot of good science fiction and everything at Project Gutenberg comes without DRM, so I can pass those on to my children or grandchildren.  Unfortunately most books do have DRM, so they can't be passed on when I die or passed around amongst the family while I live or lent the way paper books can.

Tom

• CJSA_TeachSQL - Tuesday, September 12, 2017 8:42 AM

...I hate the way the streaming services have 50 different lists that contain the same titles in different orders...

ugh, you hit on one of my pet peeves, as we use streaming media more this makes it harder to find things not easier in my opinion.

• The browsing experience with electronic books isn't as bad as suggested if one goes about it sensibly.  I generally won't log in to Amazon, just look at things, see what it's pushing generally, adding things to my basket, see what it suggests as a result of wht I've been looking at and/or of what I've put in my basket, and only log in whenI want to check out and pay.  That does mean that I get reccomendations that are NOT based n my many years of history with Amazon.
    The thing that annoys me most about Amazon is that I can't  switch between Amazon UK and amazon Spain and Amazon France  -   my Kindle can only be registered to one of them, and reregistering it automatically deletes the current contents.  That didn't happen a few years ago, and Amazon's Kindle is now much less useful to me now that they've introduced that outrageous restriction.

Tom

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, September 14, 2017 4:57 PM

Yes, T.J. Maxx is one of those strip mall places who specialize in home non-essentials, knick-knacks, and cheap gifts. It's not my go-to place to shop. If brick and mortar retailers want to stay in business, they need to focus on selling stuff that folks actually want in bulk and for a good price. Costco, Sams Club, and IKEA are doing well, because they get that.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell - Friday, September 15, 2017 8:18 AM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, September 14, 2017 4:57 PM

Yes, T.J. Maxx is one of those strip mall places who specialize in home non-essentials, knick-knacks, and cheap gifts. It's not my go-to place to shop. If brick and mortar retailers want to stay in business, they need to focus on selling stuff that folks actually want in bulk and for a good price. Costco, Sams Club, and IKEA are doing well, because they get that.

Yes, it does look like a collection of assorted junk.  I can't imagine shopping there, whether in one of their physical stores or a virtual one on the web.

Tom

• TomThomson - Friday, September 15, 2017 5:52 PM

Eric M Russell - Friday, September 15, 2017 8:18 AM

Yes, it does look like a collection of assorted junk.  I can't imagine shopping there, whether in one of their physical stores or a virtual one on the web.

In all fairness, the actual TJ.Maxx online store is better organized than the store close to where I live. Surprisingly, they even sell $750 Italian leather sneakers.

https://tjmaxx.tjx.com/store/jump/product/Made-In-Italy-Suola-Gommata-Rainbow-Leather-Sneakers/1000242686

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell - Monday, September 18, 2017 7:24 AM

TomThomson - Friday, September 15, 2017 5:52 PM

In all fairness, the actual TJ.Maxx online store is better organized than the store close to where I live. Surprisingly, they even sell $750 Italian leather sneakers.

https://tjmaxx.tjx.com/store/jump/product/Made-In-Italy-Suola-Gommata-Rainbow-Leather-Sneakers/1000242686

I'm surprised ANYONE is selling 750$ leather sneakers :w00t:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Matt Miller (4) - Monday, September 18, 2017 11:57 AM

Eric M Russell - Monday, September 18, 2017 7:24 AM

TomThomson - Friday, September 15, 2017 5:52 PM

I'm surprised ANYONE is selling 750$ leather sneakers :w00t:

In the product photo they look cheap and tacky. Honestly, were it not for the GUCCI logo and $750 price tag, the store clerk would probably toss them into the bin along with the $5 rubber beach sandals.

• This story made much the same observation as many of you here: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ann-patchett-parnassus-books/

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply