The Power of Community in Times of Uncertainty

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Power of Community in Times of Uncertainty

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• From the Article:

"A little more than 12 months into the new gig, I finally started to have a mind shift and look more earnestly for a Postgres family. Eventually I found it, ...

That's great news and, to be sure, there is no sarcasm in that statement!  So, where is it to be found???  Got links to any sites?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Great question Jeff! Certainly worth queuing up for some future posts, but let me throw a few out to get readers thinking.

Live Events: Keep an eye on the Events page of the main PostgreSQL website.

• Multi-day events: PGConf NYC/EU/etc and Postgres Conference are two different organizations that run "bigger" multi-day events in the US, EU, and beyond.
    • One-day SQL Saturday-type events have been slower to come back. The pandemic slowed events down for everyone, but Postgres events have been a bit slower to come back in some forms, specifically the one-day events. But, you'll start to see more or the PGDay events coming to life in 2023. In the EU, there are many of these starting in March (Paris, Stockholm, etc.) and PGDay Chicago is in April.

Blogs/Websites:

• Check out Planet.postgresql.org and register for updates however is most convenient for you (I follow the Twitter account so that I see new content). This is a blog aggregator and you'll quickly start to see where the good, teaching-type content often comes from and where to go for help.
    • PGSQLPhriday.com (#PGSQLPhriday) is a new monthly blog initiative that I've started with some others in the community - essentially TSQL Tuesday for PostgreSQL. We're just four months into trying it, but there has been some great support and contributions.
    • PostgreSQL.life is a wonderful series of interviews (more than 3 years worth now) of various members of the PostgreSQL community. Lots of great people and content to check out.

Podcast:

Check out Postgres.fm. The two hosts are long-time PostgreSQL experts and community members. Good content and conversation to start to work through.

Feel free to reach out if you need more information!

• Thanks, Ryan.

Thought I'd throw one more out there.  It doesn't spell "community", but the community needs to know. 😀

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Shame I can only give this 5 stars, would love to give it more🎉.

I've been through the transition from a Microsoft shop to an open source shop and it wasn't easy.

I feel the way it was handled offered infinite opportunities to have been done better.  It wasn't really explained why we were doing it, what the benefits would be, long or short term. At the time it felt like a kick in the teeth for those of us who had the DBs ticking along happily like a Japanese performance engine. It also felt like the CTO/CIO were extreme anti-Microsoft people.

In hindsight it makes sense even if replacing SQL Server with MongoDB seems even worse now than it did originally. Had the choice been Postgres it would have made more sense.

If you are the instigator of massive change then a lot of communication is necessary. Not everyone can get on board and that's sad but a harsh reality.  But, failure to communicate means that you risk losing talent that could smooth the path to success. Certainly a lot of problems were foreseen and dismissed with more ego than wisdom.  The change was also extremely expensive. Not sure what ROI was achieved or even if it has been achieved.

• Nice one!

Welcome, again, to the team. Great to have you here.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply