The Poor Soul

• I think that ultimately learning a topic falls on the individuals shoulders. Even if the company pays for training, they can't ensure that training will sink into that individuals skillset. The individual needs to take some responsibility and apply the time and effort necessary whether the employer pays or not. In either case, I would start by looking for the frequently available and oftentimes free training available and then slowly move up to the more costly more intense training.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• The job I had before my current one was a training position. I had zero technical training experience, but alot of hands on work and they thought my personality would lend itself well to training. (As it turned out, it was a phenomenal 4 years).

In my interview, I actually made the statement, "Having been laid off without warning on the second day of a new job after moving hundreds of miles, I am always looking for the next opportunity." I told the CEO (small company of 50) that I am always interviewing and listening to offers, but as long as my current position was mutually beneficial for us both, I would not leave, and I was not just shopping for salary all the time. 4 years later, I received my smallest raise ever (I took it as a sign from them or that I had plateaued) and got the itch to "get my hands dirty again" and took a job with a consulting company.

I made a similar statement when I interviewed in my current position. I regularly discuss random offers I get from employers looking at my LinkedIn profile with my boss and I remind him how much I hate changing jobs. Turns out, everybody is doing the same thing, just most are afraid to admit it until you do. Sure, it's a little dangerous. But then, I get offers almost every week making plenty to stay afloat until I could find another choice position. It stinks to have to do this but corporations have proven to us over and over again that most of them do not deserve our loyalty.

So let THEM worry about losing ME 🙂 . I come in every day and give it all I have and then some, as if I will never leave. And I currently work for an awesome company as I usually do (only one exception so far). I know I am valuable to them -- but I still know I am somewhat replaceable and I remain ready to "bug out". Hopefully, it will always be my choice. But you never know...

Peter Trast
    Microsoft Certified ...(insert many literal strings here)
    Microsoft Design Architect with Alexander Open Systems

• Steve has a very good point: "Ultimately you are responsible for the job. "

Tell your boss you will do the best you can, but also have a paper trail that professionally defines that you will do the best you can and that you will train yourself. Your boss most likely will not appreciate this, but if he is legitimate, he will respect it. If not, you probably have a poor boss.

Ultimately, this was his/her decision, and if it fails, they are really the ones to take the heat.

The more you are prepared, the less you need it.

• All good suggestions.

• From the article

"So Steve, what would you recommend then for those poor souls? As being one of them it drives me nuts to constantly be told I can't get more training as it's not my true job position yet I'm responsible for making the databases work. "

More tough love on this old but still very appropriate editorial...

There are tons of free training out there (this site is an excellent source). All one has to do is be interested in is doing their job better so that they can continue to put groceries in their family's mouths and, perhaps, improve the quality of their life. All they have to do is take a bit of personal responsibility for their own welfare and marketability.

I agree with the idea of balancing life with work but, good lordy, I hate it (totally disgusted would be a better description) when someone thinks that a company owes them some form of training in this business. It's also a two pronged fork. Unless you're independently wealthy or 100% self-sustaining, you do have to work to have a life. Spend a little time making both better.

I also think that the person the quote above came from is overlooking a real opportunity. There are people out there that would "kill" to be a DBA or Ninja Database Developer especially by such a fortunate "accident". All they need to do is put their shoulder to the wheel a bit (especially in the form of a little intellectual curiosity and self training) and the job will get better, it usually means more money eventually, and life in general will get better because of both.

If people like the one above can't see that, then they should find another job or, perhaps, career because they're not right for the one they have.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Peter Trast (5/11/2011)... but corporations have proven to us over and over again that most of them do not deserve our loyalty.

Very true. And unless your boss owns the company, they are doing the same thing.

The more you are prepared, the less you need it.

• I cannot suggest to anyone enough that self-investment is what will get anyone advancement either where they are at or somewhere else. "Go getters" also get helped more as people are generally helpful but more so if someone has attempted to help them self first.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply