The Oddest Interview Questions

• JP Dakota (2/23/2011)

I was once asked for the absolute value of Pi. There isn't one.

You wasted a perfect opportunity to spend the rest of the interview spewing out numbers!!! After about five or six digits, you wouldn't even have to be correct, because nobody's going to bother to fact-check you. 🙂

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Pi = 22/7 easiest answer.

• sharon-332366 (2/26/2011)

Pi = 22/7 easiest answer.

22/7 and Pi are only equal to the second decimal place

22/7 = 3.142857142857143

Pi = 3.141592653589793

Regards,

Jason P. Burnett
    Senior DBA

• Jason P. Burnett (2/26/2011)

sharon-332366 (2/26/2011)

Pi = 22/7 easiest answer.

22/7 and Pi are only equal to the second decimal place

22/7 = 3.142857142857143

Pi = 3.141592653589793

355/113 is accurate to 6 decimal places: 3.141592

104348/33215 is accurate to 9 decimal places: 3.141592653, but at that point you might as well just memorize the digits of Pi.

I have heard of these used in older embedded systems applications where they did not have floating point operations available, but I doubt that would be needed with any modern microprocessor.

• I once had a phone interview for a DBA position. It was supposed to be a one on one phone interview. When I answered the phone there were 4 other people on the other end. I hate phone interviews anyway because it's hard to get a sense of the person you're talking to. So 4 people on the phone was really pushing it.

I expected the basics - tell me about yourself, blah blah blah, with a few techy questions thrown in. Instead, I got the most brutal, rapid-fire, questions about everything from the minor details of SQL Server's limits (max index size, max table name length, etc. - for 2000 - 2008. They had this link open I think: MSDN) to asking for explanations of normal forms to asking my thoughts on storage and resource allocation.

At the end of a work day (which this was) I'm lucky if I can remember my name let alone the max number of table references per statement in SQL 2000 (128 I think). However, any time I missed one of these they would all begin laughing and commenting about my abilities. To be fair, yeah, maybe I should know a lot of that off the top of my head. I consider it reference material that I'll commit to memory if I'm in a big design project. Regardless, the attitude was WAY off.

They ended by asking if I had any questions for them. I had two.

Where did you learn to interview?

What makes you think I'd ever want to work with you people?

I actually did ask those questions. They seemed shocked by someone being honest with them and had no response - at least they weren't laughing. I said, "I think we're done" and hung up.

I called the recruiter who had set up the interview and told her if she ever sent me on an interview like that again I'd never speak to her again.

Fast-forward a year. I get a call from another recruiter who wants to send me to this company. I started laughing and said "absolutely not". He asked if it was because of the interview process and proceeded to explain that the position has been open for over a year now but that the entire team had been fired recently. I still declined...and I wish I knew the names of those 4 people who are on the market looking for work right now. I'd like to avoid them if I can.

One other:

Just recently I had a question from someone in HR: "Let's say, hypothetically, that you are giving a presentation to the executives. One of them stops you in the middle of your presentation and asks you to go get him a cup of coffee. What would you do?"

My answer: "Are you serious?"

(she was)

My final answer: "If you want someone to follow orders blindly because someone says so, you don't want to hire me."

Oddly, they made me an offer. :unsure:

• kent.kester (3/4/2011)

Just recently I had a question from someone in HR: "Let's say, hypothetically, that you are giving a presentation to the executives. One of them stops you in the middle of your presentation and asks you to go get him a cup of coffee. What would you do?"

My answer: "Are you serious?"

(she was)

My final answer: "If you want someone to follow orders blindly because someone says so, you don't want to hire me."

Oddly, they made me an offer. :unsure:

That sounds like an incident that really happened. I'm betting the exec in question had a tendency to derail meetings with stuff like that.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• kent.kester

Instead, I got the most brutal, rapid-fire, questions about everything from the minor details of SQL Server's limits (max index size, max table name length, etc. - for 2000 - 2008.

I find these type of questions really silly to say the least. Most of us will never run into these types of problems, and all this really proves is that you remember something which you read somewhere about the min and max values of SQL.

This will never prove whether you are a good DBA or programmer.

• GSquared (2/25/2011)

JP Dakota (2/23/2011)

I was once asked for the absolute value of Pi. There isn't one.

You wasted a perfect opportunity to spend the rest of the interview spewing out numbers!!! After about five or six digits, you wouldn't even have to be correct, because nobody's going to bother to fact-check you. 🙂

I haven't kept up with this thread, but seeing this reminded of an individual in high school. He memorized PI to 20 decimal places, and was working toward 30 before graduation. Yes, we did in fact fact check him, and he was successful to 28 digits before graduation.

• I find these type of questions really silly to say the least. Most of us will never run into these types of problems, and all this really proves is that you remember something which you read somewhere about the min and max values of SQL.

This will never prove whether you are a good DBA or programmer.

Exactly my point. In contrast I had an interview a few months ago where a guy handed me a query and asked what was wrong with it. It had been given to him by a vendor. It took me about 10 seconds of looking at it to tell him if he wanted a cartesian product it was perfect. It's a decent test. Don't get caught up in the data structure...just recognize there's a bad join. Unfortunately, that guy's boss tried to low-ball me and I declined the offer.

• Actually the absolute value of Pi is Pi.

Just like the absolute value of 5 is 5.

As a mathematician, Pi is a number. It has decimal approximations.

The absolute value function is the distance from 0.

The absolute value of -Pi is also Pi.

Carol Dewar

• kent.kester (3/4/2011)

Just say: "No"

• [font="Tahoma"][/font] I was interviewed for a mainframe posting by BT way back when psychos were mandatory on the panel. My psycho pushed the applicants to see if they would get pissy with awkward "customers". After an immaculate performance in which my past was examined for drinking, timewasting, unpleasant infectious diseases and womanising, all strenuously denied, I was asked "did I ever notice the grimy ring around the bath". I cracked. My reply was to enquire as to what a "bath" was. End of interview but I got the job. The run-you-ragged interview tainted my whole experience with the company. Goes to show you shouldnt try to f**k people over when all they want to do is work for you.

Men who wish to know about the world must learn about it in its particular details. - Heraclitus
  • I am no longer in a position where I have to do interviews but when I was I probably asked alot of questions that people may have veiwed as odd. There was often no right answer per say to these wuestions but merly a tool that allowed me to determine something about the person. for example one of the things I used to do routinly in the interveiw was ask people to rate themselves on a scal of 1-10 on their knowledge of certain aspects of IT. If I went through a list of 10 items and you rated yourself a 10 on the majority then I could fairly easily conclude that you were simply asnwering in a means you thought would please me.

Most questions are not about the answer as much as about the thought process. If I ask you what animal you would be and why I realy don't care what animal you are but here are two example answers.

"A Dog." I ask why "I don't know I just like dogs"

"A Dog." I ask Why "I realy have not given it a lot of thought but dogs are loyal and I like to think that is a good traight to have"

Now the difference in between the two questions could be argued is simply fluff and a load of BS added in for good messure and you would be right but it also shows a thought process. I often would tell my employees "You can come in and tell me I am the biggest jerk you have ever met and I can still respect you if you can do one thing. be prepared to tell me why I am a jerk." If your answer is because I am then I would quickly loose value for your oppinoin of me.

While this may give you some insight why such questions are asked you will likely find that the interveiwer has no real idea why they asked that questions they simply read it off a list of questions that was provided or they looked up.

Dan

If only I could snap my figures and have all the correct indexes apear and the buffer clean and.... Start day dream here.

• About a year ago, an interviewer pressed me on esotheric points of high-performance C#. Could I make Replace() faster? How would I go about it? Would endian encoding slow my proposed solution down? ...

I got the assignment, and I wrote one custom action handler for MSBuild and three post-deployment scripts.

• I would like you to build me a toaster, how would you do that?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply