The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop

• IIRC, you'll find no place where I've suggested doing such a thing in the article because there are much more effective methods to find gaps in a sequence of values

Jeff - I never said you made such a suggestion and I can't see how you got that from my question.

Thanks for the alternative on how to address the missing numbers question but the original question still remains unanswered. Is there a point where a  numbers tally table is too large and if so by what measure do you determine that it's to large?

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!
  • I did answer that.  Like I said...

...it doesn't even make sense for tables as small as just 1,000 rows

... so my answer stands.  Any size Tally table to do such a thing is a waste because it's the wrong way to solve the problem.  If you'd like, you can interpret that as a size of "1" is too big for the task you proposed. 😀

And, yes... I understand that you never suggested that I recommended such a thing in my article.  I was pointing it out to emphasize the fact that such a use for a Tally table is an abuse. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 2 posts - 511 through 511 (of 511 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply