The Next Evolution of Big Blue

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Next Evolution of Big Blue

• A couple of weeks ago, we had yet another O365 outage and it looked like it affected a lot of people across the globe.  This is getting a wee bit spooky because our company and a lot of our sister companies are moving to the cloud.  We're not all moving to the same cloud providers but it's still spooky.

Just imagine if some super hacker (will probably turn out to be some bored 12 year old if it happens) was able to get into AWS' or Azure's knickers or someone made a similar deployment problem as they did with O365 and shut them down even if for only an hour or four.  Heh... I understand that's fairly improbable nowadays but it's certainly not impossible.

When that does happen (I'm convinced  it will happen sometime), who's ready with a "Plan B"?  Think about it.

Heh... maybe "Plan B" is to just tell your customers that it's not your fault. 😀  It's probably the closest we've ever come to that actually being a reasonable excuse.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I’m going to have to side with Jeff on this one. With on-premise servers, both the initial and long-term costs may be more than the cloud, financially speaking. However, what is the long-term cost when you lose cliental because of trust issues when your / their data is breached (aka. Hacked) on some company’s cloud server. Notice I said “when” and not “if”. Trust me, it certainly is a matter of “when”.

Here’s a quote from a blog I read. “State of the breach June 2020: AT LEAST 16 billion records, including credit card numbers, home addresses, phone numbers and other highly sensitive information, have been exposed through data breaches since 2019. The first quarter of 2020 has been one of the worst in data breach history, with over 8 billion records exposed.” Source: https://selfkey.org/data-breaches-in-2019/

So, you can certainly understand why I used the word “when” instead of “if” your data is breached. I am so often bombarded with company’s telling me that I should have long, obscure passwords and to change them often. It seems to me that I am not the weak link here, but rather it’s the cloud-based company’s that house, share and sell my personal information. I can not remember a time when my little laptop was hacked and taken over by some malicious hacker. Their target is the cloud where tons of information is waiting at their fingertips.

As for my password on their cloud, the one they want me to change every 90 days, doesn’t seem to be a viable threat. If a hacker gets in using my password and brings down the company, then it’s the company’s fault for allowing my little account to have that much of an admin role.

I am a hard-core on-premise guy and will be till my dying day. I don’t trust the cloud and never will!

But that’s just my two-cents worth.

Aubrey W Love
    aka: PailWriter
    https://www.aubreywlove.com/

• You're welcome to feel that way. I tend to prefer on-premises for some things myself.

However, many of the breeches have nothing to do with the cloud per se. Lots of the issues with security have to do with poor IT practices, and many, many of the losses are from internal systems, completely controlled by employees.

The cloud isn't a bigger target because of multiple clients, as their systems are segregated and usually better secured by default. bigger companies are targets, regardless of where they store computing resources.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply