The New Year - 2009

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The New Year - 2009

• The trickiest part of the editorial is

Anyone want to guess how many cell phones I'll purchase in 2009? I had 5 in 2008.

I guess it'll be less than that...

I bought 6 of them and think i wont buy more than 2 this year.

Prediction on market condition is still on the negative side, however i feel it'll be stabilize and we'll see more of correction this year which will lead to more pink slips; however, this wont be a surprise attack, as all of us are already aware of this. Stock markets wont see huge crests and troughs; though it'll sustain around the current values in the next 6 months or so...

A very very Happy New Year to all at Central πŸ™‚

Pradeep Singh

• I doubt BI will ever really "take off" beyond management at more companies using it. With the economy, capital expenditures like that may slow down this year. I imagine user generated content will continue to expand. I wonder what new mediums will be invented to help distribute pictures of cats with captions on them? While we're putting out safe predictions, here's a couple:

1) Violence in the Middle East.

2) African American man sworn into Presidency

I'll toss out some riskier bets:

1) US$ price of gold will see $1000/oz for the last time as all the money being printed to deal with the economic crisis turns into inflation.

2) Microsoft will start shipping scratch and sniff training manuals to help new users learn how to use the new scent-based query tuning advisor.

• Happy New Year, thanks for the replies, and hopefully you're answering from home, not work, and I hope I have many, many less cell phones in 2009. I'm hoping for one iPhone and that's it.

• Definitely from home. We even wrapped up a little early on the 31st with beer in the staff lounge. However I've been up since about 3:00 AM when I discovered one of my pets passed away. I figure the year will just get better from here.

• Predictions for 2009:

1 new cell phone for Steve

US legislation on the subject of global warming will get passed, and will generate a lot of controversy (some won't think it's enough, some will think it goes too far, some will think it's not needed)

UK economy will collapse catastrophically, possibly French and German economies as well

EU will pass some version of its constitution over objections from the Irish

One or more major US newspapers will go bankrupt and will be bailed out by the federal government

US will pull out of Iraq too early, causing a massive increase in violence

Iran will begin talks with new US administration, which will be hailed as a mighty achievement for Obama and co, allowing Iran time to build an effective nuclear arsenal (2 years till they start a major war)

Russia will intimidate US and Europe into allowing them to get away with attacks on more neighboring countries

Linux users will brag about how superior their OS is over "Windoze", thereby boosting their fragile egos

Mac users will brag about how there are no security issues with Macs

Windows users will continue to complain about security issues, but because of ease-of-use and ubiquity, will continue to use Windows

Almost everyone who isn't a member of the MS marketing team will continue to complain about Vista (with the sole exception in the whole world probably still being me)

World of Warcraft will pass the 12-million accounts mark, and Blizzard will announce their next expansion, which will be scheduled for 2010

Someone will release a game that they think will unseat WoW as the top online RPG, and it will fail to do so, and most people won't even notice that they tried

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Nice.

Almost everyone who isn't a member of the MS marketing team will continue to complain about Vista (with the sole exception in the whole world probably still being me)

Count me as exception #2. It was designed to use a lot of ram, Ram's cheap people, give it 3-4 gigs and the largest majority of your issues go away... Heck I don't even use a pagefile any more...

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• I run XP on the desktop (main working environment) and Vista Ultimate on my laptop (4GB RAM), which I use for editing the podcasts. It works OK, but not great. It has been very stable, but it's not much better than XP. Actually I'd say it's not better than XP overall. So why upgrade?

I went with 2GB for about 6 months, then switched to 4GB, and it improved, but not a lot. I would have expected it to do much better.

Nice predictions, GSquared, let's hope #1 comes true πŸ™‚

• Luke L (1/2/2009)

Nice.

Count me as exception #2. It was designed to use a lot of ram, Ram's cheap people, give it 3-4 gigs and the largest majority of your issues go away... Heck I don't even use a pagefile any more...

Exception #3. The new home lappy came with Vista Premium installed as standard. It has 4gb ram and 2 x 250gb drives. It's happy with SQL Server 2008, which took 10 hours to download including sample data, then an hour to install - while watching Training Day from BD on the 18.4" hd widescreen. 'Er indoors can swipe her finger on the reader and play on FB on her user while I take a "comfort break", and it takes about 2 seconds after swiping to get my user back afterwards. No complaints yet.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• I should have had a prediction that:

I will be wrong about some things, right about some things, and sometimes it will be the same thing!

(I'm a pessimistic optimist.)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Ah, I think your prediction about your predictions predicts my predictions as well πŸ˜€

• I predict that I won't make any predictions. Blast, there goes my 100% accuracy record. πŸ˜‰

On a similar note, my plan for 2009 new year's resolutions is to resolve not to make any resolutions. When you've broken one resolution, then there isn't much point in achieving any others... (Thus, I won't have to start the inevitably short-lived diet).

Paul

Paul

• But that's part of the fun, Paul. Making and breaking them.

• As I've already broken my first resolution, I reckon I'm well on the way for 2009...

Paul

• BWAA-HAA!!! I guarantee Business Intelligence won't take off because it's an oxymoron... government gives 700 billion to banks and can't account for any of it... big 3 are going bust because their business intelligence kept telling them nothing was wrong... morons in congress approved the sub-prime loans a couple years ago because their business intelligence told them that people would be able to pay what they didn't and never would have... people of Michigan re-elected Grandholm because their business intelligence said she only needed 5 more years... Lotus 123 and WordPerfect are practically non-existant because their business intelligence told them that Microsoft would never be a substantial player in user software... Microsoft thought their version of a search engine would be an instant success (anyone remember what it's actually called?) and would instantly replace Google... Yahoo never saw Google coming... and does anyone remember a company called "IBM"??? Yeah, that was business intelligence at its finest! How about windmills and ethanol? Quick! Raise your hand if you think having a public windmill farm in your backyard or that burning food for fuel is a great idea! Heh... and some folks think that writing only ANSI compliant SQL and 100% portable code is good business intelligence.

2009 is going to be (already is) just as much fun as 2008 was (and I had a ball! :D)... it's all gonna be what you make of it and no amount of business intelligence is going to help because, at least up to now, there hasn't really been any. I would invest heavily in pork chops. πŸ˜›

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply