The most basic SQL question ever...

• I'm new. Fairly new to SQL.

Can I query data that is saved on my desktop in Excel format https://192168ll.link/ without importing the data to the server? And if so, how?

I'm using SQL Server Management Studio if that matters. Sorry, I feel dumb even asking this.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  gasaneris.
  • Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• There is an OPENDATASOURCE or OPENROWSET, though this is really for adhoc work. You can use those if you have a SQL SErver instance.

SSMS does not connect directly to Excel.

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/6178/read-excel-file-in-sql-server-with-openrowset-or-opendatasource/

• There are some brilliant methods to be had here and are especially necessary because most people's spreadsheets don't actually look like a table.

They also take a special tool and some good knowledge that even a lot of experienced people don't have and posting all that it would take on a forum would just take too long.  With that, please see the attached zip file for a PowerPoint presentation and all the files needed to teach yourself these very effective methods that even withstand "ever-growing/changing" spreadsheets.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply