The Learning Choice

• It comes down to where you are currently, where you want to be eventually, and then a strategic guess as to where the jobs will be in the future. Then it's a balance of focusing your learning on skills that are beneficial now vs skills that you can develop down the road, with an eye on your interests vs what pays the bills. 10 years ago, there was no point in a SQL Server DBA learning Linux or python if he didn't have that interest. Now? Both Linux and python are part of the SQL landscape. Question is, are they going to be important and useful in a general sense, or are they going to become useful like  XML indexes?

• Sean Redmond - Thursday, February 8, 2018 1:34 AM

'find a job you like and you'll never work a day again in your life'.

There are limits to that philosophy. Certainly you should find a job that's comfortable for you and you are good at.
    But your hobbies, the things you do for enjoyment and 'getting away' should not be the same as your daily job. That can ultimately destroy the pleasure of those pursuits.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• I will say this. When I started working with SQL Server, I felt I had most everything I needed with the stack to do my job. This is still pretty true today for me and even most of you who are similar.

However, when I started to explore Python for other purposes, I started to find new ways of doing things as well better replacement of doing things with the stack I was working with.

If I didn't explore, didn't attempt to learn new things, then I feel I would have been living with the idea that world was flat.

That being said, it's also worth noting that sometimes, no amount of selling something is going to get you on board with something new. Exploring and unearthing things yourself is often the best way to make you a believer. For example, plenty of people say Python is good for X, Y, Z. I didn't really by into that until I started playing with it for other purposes. Then I sort of made myself a believer from my own trial and error. Thus. don't write things off just from your own opinion on what you think X, Y, Z can do for you. Jump in and prove it to yourself that hey, this is not the best option, or in my case, well damn, this is actually pretty useful.

• Part of it depends on where you are in your career.
    As a late career guy, my learning is more guided by what's coming down the pike at the company work for. If I were young, and looking to career hop, the priorities might be different.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• jay-h - Thursday, February 8, 2018 1:55 PM

Part of it depends on where you are in your career.
    As a late career guy, my learning is more guided by what's coming down the pike at the company work for. If I were young, and looking to career hop, the priorities might be different.

Very true. Similar for me.

• jay-h - Thursday, February 8, 2018 1:55 PM

Agreed.  For example, I've not worked much in Hadoop or other NOSQL environments mainly because the tasks I've had in my career didn't take me in that direction.  After all, why spend countless hours (and money) on trying to learn something that you're not using?  Anymore, I can't look for a new job that uses those technologies because they understandably want folks with more than experimental experience.  Therefore, I'll just focus on what I'm good at and let others have the fun with everything else.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, February 8, 2018 3:15 PM

jay-h - Thursday, February 8, 2018 1:55 PM

Very true. Similar for me.

I am well into the autumn of my career so the same for me...

• My priorities have never changed... it's all based on the 3 "L's"...  I've not numbered them and their in no particular order because they each equally important to the others  although the order is pretty much the order I learned them in.

Learn, Like, and Live

Learn a lot of things.

Really like a couple of them.

Both of those things help me live monetarily, mentally, and work with others, which helps me...

Learn more, like what I'm doing even better, and live more.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply