The Great Uproar

• - this post should now be renamed - "the uproar about the uproar.."

what did the Romans do...feed them to the hungry lions ?!?!

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• What pray tell is a 'gob' and how does one keep it anywhere let alone shut...

Scott

Kindest Regards,

Scott Beckstead

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by abandoning it here at home!"
    Edward R. Murrow

scottbeckstead.com

• "...I, too, think it is too bad that John views Christians as poor developers.  But, having been one for some time now, I can see some of his point..."

OK, maybe all Christians are just bad at semantics or reading comprehension:

I never said I didn't hire Christians for design or development, I actually have and do.  I said, those "heavily religious" (multiple times as I recall).  You know, like those who go to church every Wednesday and twice on Sunday, wear special underwear, have pictures of Jesus on their wall even though nobody knows what he (or she--don't want to set of another firestorm) really looked like, etc.

sheesh.

Note: there'd be a little smilies and other emoticons all over here but I personally believe that emoticons steal my soul a little at a time...

• Jeez, English as well as SQL lessons now!?

"Gob" is an English (as in, FROM England!) slang term for Mouth!

Demo >>

• the emoticons stole my pez dispenser...

• Yes, well, I'm certain that they and the penguins are in it together...

•   Oh...., so devout aetheists?  Are they in the same category? 

I would posit a guess that the reasons Christians reply is two-fold: 

1) Our industry is generally not Christian.  Most of the Americans I know in IT are not either not religious at all or have serious problems with Christians, (my own perception - pole numbers are not in yet...:laugh

2) The A.C.L. seems to have a serious vendeta against Christians.  There is no "wall of seperation" in the Constitution, (that term actually came from a private letter from Thomas Jefferson, (who thought the Bible and Catholic Catachizm (sp) should be taught in Public Schools) and the Bainsbury Baptist Church), but I would hazzard that most think there is and many legal precidence are based upon the non-existent clause.  All it says is, the Federal Gov't cannot create a Church or religion, (i.e., like the Church of England), but each State could if they so chose...). 

Read the papers.  If there is a ceremony that is Christian-based, it will have troubles in the public square.  Most other "religions" do not seem to get that kind of treatment. 

My $0.02. 

I wasn't born stupid - I had to study.

• In the book on presentations "I can see you naked" it poses the question "should you ever smoke during an presentation"?

The answer was an emphatic NO. The argument was that not smoking would offend neither the smokers or non-smokers but smoking had the potential to alienate the non-smokers.

Ditto swearing in interviews.

If you ever visit the middle east you are warned not to discuss sex, religion or politics. Even if the Muslim faith allowed drinking you would never start a pub with that list of no go areas.

There are certain subjects that have the potential to be a very hot topic. Some of these are so hot that they can sour a perfectly good friendship, let alone something as transient as a job interview!!!

I have met people who are Christians in the way they behave and treat other people and I have also met people who think that because they go to church on Sunday they are superior to the rest of humanity and can be absolute swine for the rest of the time.

There are certain expressions in popular use that are local slang but in away from their locality are deeply offensive. If I asked an American colleague if he had been for a fag in the bushes then it would get a completely different reaction to the reaction you would get if you asked the question of an English one.

Again the advice has to be avoid slang and colloquialisms and even humour if it has the potential to alienate.

I will always remember the uproar in a factory full of female scousers (Liverpool residents) when an American warned one of them that she shouldn't run as she risked falling over and hurting her fanny!

• Well... Take it from a WOMAN who just won a contract job yesterday as an Access Developer for United Space Alliance/Solid Rocket Boosters at Kennedy Space Center, these four things were never made reference to in the interview:

1. Gender
    2. Religion
    3. Swearing
    4. Homosexuality

However, what was mentioned was a home based budget program I created that included a budget item for "beer and wine".  Perhaps, that was the reason I got the job?    Not!  It was the fact that I listened to the interviewer, came extremely prepared (had a portfolio of projects I had worked on as well as a diskette with my home based budget program), and presented a solution to him that met his needs.

• They use Access for Nasa... geeze i would have thought they's use SQL Server or at least Clipper.

• Fallen Angel,

You wonder why Christians were replying more than other religions, and the answer is because they were the only ones singled out in the article. There were no comments about those wearing their turbans, head-covers, beads, dots, etc as part of their outward expression of faith but when someone states their faith with a word it becomes offensive? Why? To think that it would be different is foolish on my part I guess. I wonder if they came in for an interview wearing a scripture jacket how people would respond.

I do have to agree with you though, religion has no place in the interview. All these things should be put aside and the merits of what would make this person a good employee should be considered.

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• "They use Access for NASA..."

That's a pretty short sighted view of NASA, or the space program, for that matter.  They use Access for importing data from Mainframes and designing Decision Support Systems.

• As you (David) no doubt know... try starting a conversation about religion in Northern Ireland...

A company I worked for that had a few call centres had a team set up that took calls specifically from Northern Ireland.  As part of their training they were warned not to get into any conversation associated with religion.

This was travel... so they had to be careful to note whether they called Londonderry airport "Londonderry" or "Derry".  Any deviation from what they believe to be correct can be an insult...

• Paul,

I am an Irish American (eligible for Irish citizenship, should I choose to apply for it) and I have been to the city you mention in Northern Ireland.  You're right, it is advisable to avoid the discussion of religion in Northern Ireland.  However, it is also advisable not to demean religious expression in Northern Ireland, as the author of the SSC article did.

We are a community and we need to respect one another.  People of faith are a part of our community and shouldn't be disparaged in professional publications.

Respectfully,

Chuck

chuck_boyce@sqlpass.org

http://chuckboyce.blogspot.com

• apologies for picking up on the one thing that is (probably) not germane to the issue - but what does "demain" mean ?!?! Is it an Irish expression ?!

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply