The Great and Powerful Internet of Things

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Great and Powerful Internet of Things

• To me it does feel like a market that could seriously hamper its own potential. I don't believe that it won't take off even considering the issues. However, I do believe that unless it garners a better reputation then many potential customers will turn away. Businesses and individuals alike. I am not saying that IoT will disappear just that the market will become less likely to fulfil its potential.

I suspect that there will be many jobs, or at least tasks, generated for data professionals regardless.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Where is IOT on the Gartner hype cycle?

I was in a trial with a telematics product for vehicle tracking.  If the device only tracked metrics when the engine was on then it couldn't track theft by someone lifting the vehicle onto a low loader.
    If it only tracked metrics when the vehicle was moving then determining journey stop/restart vs separate journeys was an issue.  This is something users of the Strava sports app will have experienced.
    These use cases were thought through and solutions found but it involved collecting insane amounts of data and using algorithms to identify and discard the irrelevant events.

There have already been DDOS attacks using IOT devices.

Let's suppose an insurance company got hold of my Strava data.  A medical insurer might infer certain risk factors based on activity.  A motor insurer might also notice that my speed indicates likely driving behaviour.  All it would take is a slip of the legislative pen for such data to be legally sharable.  IOT needs to be thought through very carefully from many different angles

• "Just because you can doesn't mean you should."

This one sentence sums up my feeling for IoS and a good deal of frivolous technology misuse. And I'm no Luddite, just someone who's been involved in multiple technical fields for decades. Much of the hype is hype that appeals to users that don't consider the second and third order effects.

• Certainly its in the future but I'm cautious at the moment I've had too many cars and devices that have had dodgy sensors - I have a relatively new car at the moment and the tyre pressure sensor is sticking on. I know the tyre is fine but either the sensor or the software isn't functioning nominally. Compare that with my push bikes that are 100% predictable, I can personally fix and all are now over a decade old.

I am actually ok with the software I just think relying that much on hardware and power you need to be careful in the application.

A lot of people drive cars until failure - people will want to continue with this practice - that won't be a good idea for a self driving cars.

This is why I actually think self driving cars are actually a bit stupid and a really bad idea - I do think the real application for artificial navigation will be for navigating space vehicles. Imagine sending fleets out to Mars to build towns or to collect resources could be really really revolutionary.

By the way I've got an Alexa and she is great - the key being its not a disaster when she switches on the radio rather than the telly.

• The security issue is addressed by new hardware (routers).  Here's an excerpt from a recent USA Today article:
    <quote>
    Multiple devices that offer home protection from hacks are set to hit store shelves beginning in the spring.

One of the big ones comes from Norton, Symantec's consumer brand. Called the Core, the WiFi router is being announced at the Consumer Electronics Show held in Las Vegas and will go on sale in the spring for a starting price of $199. It will eventually require a monthly subscription.

It is likely to be the most accessible of several consumer-oriented WiFi routers aiming to protect the devices attached to it, from tablets, laptops, closed-circuit cameras, printers, doorbells and lightbulbs.

At least four other IoT securing-WiFi routers are also scheduled to go on sale this year. They include one each from Luma and Cujo, Finnish F-Secure's SENSE and the Israeli Dojo.
    </quote>

• There is no such thing as a secure system, only systems the hacking of which we have not yet discovered.

Sorry for the parphrase but it's true. Security is not now a solved problem nor will it ever be. It is an NP hard problem, there are simply too many attack paths to guarantee all of them can be blocked. The very nature of networking explodes the attack surface to near-infinity, certainly beyond any reasonable hope of ever being truly secure.

This is just talking about keeping the data secure, i.e. visible only to the people it was intended for. We aren't even talking about how sensitive the data is (that is, if the data should even have been collected in the first place).

This headlong rush into collecting every scrap of data from every possible place is beyond criminally insane. Not only can't the people who are supposed to have the data be trusted with it, they cannot (even to a reasonable degree) guarantee the data won't end up with someone else who most certainly can't be trusted!

IOT is DOA. By definition.

• "...and the pruning of old data."

Perhaps not the focus of this topic, but your last comment does make me wonder about how long folks hang on to old data?

• So did anyone else see this title and think "The Great and Powerful OZ"?  Seems appropriate to me in a way... the IOT people seem to want you to ignore what's behind the curtain and just focus on the wiz-bang cool factor of what their product does.

• Chris Harshman - Thursday, February 2, 2017 7:05 AM

So did anyone else see this title and think "The Great and Powerful OZ"?  Seems appropriate to me in a way... the IOT people seem to want you to ignore what's behind the curtain and just focus on the wiz-bang cool factor of what their product does.

I assumed that that was the point.

Gaz

• IoT enabled clothing when many families are going into debt just paying for their kid's school clothes? :ermm:
    Devices that notify your insurance provider when you walk into that Doughnut shop, so they can adjust your rates appropriately? :crying:
    Smart toilets? Hey, dudes, just give me your email address and I'll send you a photo of my PoS.  🙂

Here is at least one company with a profitable business model created in response to the IoT revolution.
    http://www.jammerfromchina.com/categories/Mobile_Phone_Jammers/

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I believe there is a huge potential for the Internet Of Things to revolutionize industries like: weather prediction, land management, transportation, and healthcare (chronic condition monitoring). I'd love to be involved in an IoT application that makes a difference and matters. However, as for the consumer end of IoT, ubiquitous devices everywhere... not so much.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Thank you Steve, for sharing this. The infographic was very interesting. I'm very interested in IoT, but feel more like a novice, so will just learn for now.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Eric M Russell - Thursday, February 2, 2017 8:03 AM

...Smart toilets? Hey, dudes, just give me your email address and I'll send you a photo of my PoS...

There was a website called RateMyPoo.com if I can recall corrctly. A colleague took great delight in getting it up on colleagues' browsers when they left their machines unlocked. Fortunately, I was always vigilant. I am all for automation but this would be taking it too far.

Gaz

• Gary Varga - Thursday, February 2, 2017 8:42 AM

Eric M Russell - Thursday, February 2, 2017 8:03 AM

...Smart toilets? Hey, dudes, just give me your email address and I'll send you a photo of my PoS...

There was a website called RateMyPoo.com if I can recall corrctly. A colleague took great delight in getting it up on colleagues' browsers when they left their machines unlocked. Fortunately, I was always vigilant. I am all for automation but this would be taking it too far.

Well, if they walk away from their PC without locking the screen, then they're just asking for it. If you really want to drive them crazy, then add the following URL redirect to their '%windir%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts' file.  😀

RateMyPoo.com   google.com
    RateMyPoo.com   bing.com
    RateMyPoo.com   yahoo.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply