The Geek Christmas Poll

• nickd-799913 (12/13/2013)

I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle!

You'll shoot your eye out!

• I have a Raspberry Pi on my Christmas list.

I already have a bunch of Arduino stuff but wouldn't mind have some more random sensors or maybe a robot chassis and motors to go with it.

• After holding out long enough, I'm finally going to be getting a Blu-Ray player. The studios have won. :crying:

I love watching the bonus material that often comes with movies (behind the scenes, gag reels, etc.), but they have slowly been leaving them off of the DVD versions and only adding them to the Blu-Ray editions. So, I'm caving in, breaking down, giving up, and getting a Blu-Ray.....Sigh.

• Maybe some kind of electrical shock device, like a tazer, I could use on the plane when the person in front of me decides to lean their seat back into my face. Or how about the airlines either give more room between seats or prevent them from reclining in the first place.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• Scott Arendt (12/13/2013)

I would ask for time away from all of the gadgets and noise. I am going to spend some time with my wife, some time in solitude ice fishing and some time in church comtemplating what is important this time of year.

Merry Christmas,

Scott

Well said, Scott! Enjoy!

Me - I too like to move away from the computer and phone which seem to follow me withersoever I go. More tools for the wood shop would be nice. Quiet time with family is always a blessing as well.

Merry Christmas to all!

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• I want a HUD for my helmet when I ride my motorcycle. My bike (Star Raider) has the instruments on the tank, which means looking down to see speed etc. There has been times my low fuel light has been on for 10+ miles before I notice it. (luckily it starts it's own odometer whenever the fuel light comes on at least!)

[/url]

• 30 TB of fiber. Then I'd have nights and weekends free again

esc

• A used Canon FD 85-300 f4.5 lens that I'll use at Monday's practice round at The Masters in April 2014.

And film (I haven't switched to digital yet).

• 1) Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet. My Lenovo Ideapad purchased at the beginning of the year has Windows 8, but no touch screen. My wife has a Nexus 7 and my kids are partial to Apple, so I'd like to have equal opportunity touch tablet experience available. Also, I could use a tablet to look at some of those free SQL Server e-books at home, which doesn't work too well on a 14" landscape computer screen.

2) Getting some quality listening time is hard nowadays , so the best HiFi Man or Audeze headphones that I can afford. And a USB DAC/headphone amp, maybe a Light harmonic Geek Pulse, since Kickstarter was mentioned.

• My list is very practical. I'd like an MSDN Premium Subscription. I think I may need it.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• I hear Chromecast is cool.

Like others, I think a Raspberry Pi might be cool as well.

- webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• I would like my own drone. I see many practical applications for it, but Santa insists the neighbors will complain.

• David Benoit (12/13/2013)

Scott Arendt (12/13/2013)

I would ask for time away from all of the gadgets and noise. I am going to spend some time with my wife, some time in solitude ice fishing and some time in church comtemplating what is important this time of year.

Merry Christmas,

Scott

Well said, Scott! Enjoy!

Me - I too like to move away from the computer and phone which seem to follow me withersoever I go. More tools for the wood shop would be nice. Quiet time with family is always a blessing as well.

Merry Christmas to all!

Hello David:

Your reverence and family-centeredness is always true. Indeed, 'tis the time to behold peace, hope, love, and joy.

Wow, you have time for a wood shop? Nice. My father had such a passion that I have yet to kindle for myself -- craving the time to do... kids, kids, kids...

In answer to Steve Jones's question, I hate to admit it but I think I'm being forced into purchasing a new pc for home. My personally-built windows xp box started going crazy buggy back in November after doing a Windows Update (never suffered a single problem with my pc before -- ever!) Now, it's all BSOD on bootup and errors like "multiple_irp_complete_requests". I have a conspiracy theory revolving around the notion that microsoft is purposely attempting to sabotage any remaining XP boxes out there by April 2014 -- or they just have part-time college interns rolling out the last remaining xp updates... Bah-hum-bug...

Blessings and gladness to you and your kin,

--Pete Z (from GRIPA)

• Steven.Howes (12/13/2013)

Other than that, I'm not a gadget person, but I would love a new turntable. One that plays at 33&1/3 consistently. Not the 25-40 range that I get with my current one. There's nothing like trying to play guitar along a record when the pitch keeps changing. 😛

Man it used to madden me when I'd get a new walkman back in the 80's and the pitch was too high (I have perfect pitch). Same thing with turntables.

Tony
    ------------------------------------
    Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

• Just bought the wife and I a Kindle Fire HD to replace the old Kindle reader. But would like a Surface Pro 2 just for me.

Other than that peace and joy to all.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply