The Future for Database Administrators

• Markus (8/25/2016)

...The days of a DBAs duties are changing that is for sure.

Changing for sure. That's nothing new. The change might be new but that it is changing isn't.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• From the Article:

The bar may be raising in terms of skills needed from database IT pros

Heh... they can start by learning how to get the current date and time using T-SQL. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• An organization can spend millions on infrastructure, fancy BI tools, and contractors, but it will collapse like a house of cards unless they have a team of solid DBAs and SQL coders. More IT projects and bigger databases simply means there will be more opportunity; we just have to be willing to adapt to the new technology environment. From what I've seen, SQL Server itself is evolving and will continue to be a major player 10 years from now. Of course, if you're the guy who won't upgrade to the newest version until support run out and Microsoft forces you to, then the train will leave the station without you.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Gary Varga (8/25/2016)

Markus (8/25/2016)

Changing for sure. That's nothing new. The change might be new but that it is changing isn't.

Agreed... it will always change... however, what I really meant by that is that new players have emerged and are taking database tech to an entirely different level. The days of DB2, Oracle and SQL Server dominating marketshare might be coming to an end. Granted MSFT and to a degree Oracle offer their RDBMS in the cloud as well.

• Markus (8/25/2016)

Gary Varga (8/25/2016)

Markus (8/25/2016)

Agreed... it will always change... however, what I really meant by that is that new players have emerged and are taking database tech to an entirely different level. The days of DB2, Oracle and SQL Server dominating marketshare might be coming to an end. Granted MSFT and to a degree Oracle offer their RDBMS in the cloud as well.

Azure SQL isn't just SQL Server in the cloud. Microsoft also offers a full stack MPP data warehousing solution that includes RDMS, Hadoop, BLOB storage, analytics, and everything else you would want.

SQL Data Warehouse

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/sql-data-warehouse/

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I agree with at least most, if not all, of you. I am seeing some traditional Oracle houses (we are talking decades here) considering moving away from them in the medium term. Or at least reducing their reliance.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply