The Financial DBA

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, July 24, 2017 9:09 AM

nico.botes 119922 - Monday, July 24, 2017 8:54 AM

Planning carefully is hard. I think some of the RG stuff helps, but I used Azure for months before I realized these were there. Some of the serverless stuff makes this harder and harder. Having dealt with tags in other environments, how does someone know which tag to use for a new function? what if it's for two apps? What if it gets used in production, and then superseded with a new version? One thing we often may do is want to keep two versions live, in case we have an issue over the next few days. Who's going to check that the old one is removed? Or worse, what if some code uses the old rarely and there are still charges?

Imaging the scope  of functions your developers create in code now.

I think this is one area where MS and other similar services will make a lot more than they did on simple licensing. Profit through confusion.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• jay-h - Monday, July 24, 2017 9:18 AM

I think this is one area where MS and other similar services will make a lot more than they did on simple licensing. Profit through confusion.

I think plenty of companies have counted on that, especially with large enterprise type sales.

• jay-h - Monday, July 24, 2017 9:18 AM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, July 24, 2017 9:09 AM

Planning carefully is hard. I think some of the RG stuff helps, but I used Azure for months before I realized these were there. Some of the serverless stuff makes this harder and harder. Having dealt with tags in other environments, how does someone know which tag to use for a new function? what if it's for two apps? What if it gets used in production, and then superseded with a new version? One thing we often may do is want to keep two versions live, in case we have an issue over the next few days. Who's going to check that the old one is removed? Or worse, what if some code uses the old rarely and there are still charges?

I'd be willing to bet that in a year or so, there's going to be companies offering software packages to monitor the utilization of cloud services, and if there's no activity in a set time frame, shut down the service in question.  Something where a Dev could stand up that test DW, assign a "if inactive, shut down after X weeks / days / hours and send alert to..." sort of thing.

Of course, what defines "activity" will be interesting to determine...

• jasona.work - Monday, July 24, 2017 10:09 AM

jay-h - Monday, July 24, 2017 9:18 AM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, July 24, 2017 9:09 AM

I'd be willing to bet that in a year or so, there's going to be companies offering software packages to monitor the utilization of cloud services, and if there's no activity in a set time frame, shut down the service in question.  Something where a Dev could stand up that test DW, assign a "if inactive, shut down after X weeks / days / hours and send alert to..." sort of thing.

Of course, what defines "activity" will be interesting to determine...

That stuff already exists although, from what I understand, it's largely homegrown so I think you might be right One of our developers put together a powershell script to monitor our azure usage and turn off servers that were idle.

"Beliefs" get in the way of learning.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, July 24, 2017 9:31 AM

jay-h - Monday, July 24, 2017 9:18 AM

I think plenty of companies have counted on that, especially with large enterprise type sales.

I believe that Azure style billing based on actual utilization seems more fair than licensing based on "users" or on-prem CPUs that may be underutilized most of the time. As an analogy: unlike the early days of the 20th century where electric companies would sell you the super expensive on-site generators and then require you to hire full-time engineers to run them, we now have power service providers who generate power regionally and then bill you based on usage.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply