The Employment Contract

• Craig: Sorry to hear you went through that. What a perfect example of what I was trying to say. It's sad that this kind of thing happens, but I'm not surprised that it took so little time for someone to have the perfect example on-hand. Sounds like you knew exactly what to do in that situation.

• I do not want my job responsibilities dictated to me in a written contract. This can severely limit a developers, DBA, or Network Administrators ability to learn new technologies or even to perform their dictated tasks effectively, etc.

I have been developing software for over 28 Years and feel strongly that if we were getting contracts when hired this would limit our ability to even perform our duties as dictated in the contract.

If Employers start creating Contracts for IT personnel, I will consider looking for a different career.

Thanks - A Concerned IT Professional

• Thanks for all the replies.

JJ B: I think you are right. It describes my situation and even though I knew what should be done, I have never been able to articulate it into clear cut words but thanks because that all makes sense to me.

I do hear of IT projects/Software etc getting delayed and deadlines for launch not being met and I wonder if it happens all the time in IT/Web Development etc and also if it is because of the complexity of the projects and the complexity of IT itself. For example, Microsoft push launch dates back and sometimes (it feels like) they would rather deliver incomplete projects rather than miss a deadline.

I think half of the issue in my situation is that the managers have openly admitted to me that they have no idea what I do nor how to measure what I do and certainly don't know whats involved; they are not IT guys. For instance, I delivered a large web application for the company and after 3 months of release the boss complained because he said it wasn't installed on his computer yet! (Inner dialogue at the time was: Its a web application 'some profanity', just open up you browser and go to the company website!) Deadlines and project delivery is all they have.

• mike-939611 (12/10/2011)

. . . For example, Microsoft push launch dates back and sometimes (it feels like) they would rather deliver incomplete projects rather than miss a deadline. . . .

The latter is called "launch with engineering debt."

• Considering that folks in HR, hiring managers, and many direct managers don't actually know what a DBA does (especially a "Hybrid" DBA) or the value they bring to an organization, I'd rather them not even try to spell out what I'm supposed to do. If a DBA (regardless of type of DBA) doesn't know what to do and it needs to be spelled out, then that's the wrong person for the job. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply