The Elusive Conditional WHERE Clause

• You may find that my previous link has a lot of overlap with your findings: http://www.sommarskog.se/dyn-search.html

Lots of test cases, a bucket load of data, results, timings, implications, etc. Has possibly been the most useful single link / article that I have ever been given.

• Hmmm...   After reviewing the discussions, it seems that the flame wars have scared off a potentially good author since this is the only article he's published in 4 years.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Friday, January 27, 2017 7:53 AM

Hmmm...   After reviewing the discussions, it seems that the flame wars have scared off a potentially good author since this is the only article he's published in 4 years.

Sorry, Jeff, but thinking of a topic is actually more of an issue, these days.  Thank you for your encouragement, however.

• Jeff Moden - Friday, January 27, 2017 7:53 AM

Hmmm...   After reviewing the discussions, it seems that the flame wars have scared off a potentially good author since this is the only article he's published in 4 years.

Probably a good thing for him. He doesn't seem to be able to put up with criticism, which is unavoidable when you post something publicly.
    Bad for us, for sure.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• John Hick-456673 - Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:35 PM

Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Elusive Conditional WHERE Clause

You say "The “0=@pCondition†tells our sproc to ignore all subsequent @pCondition filters."

But I always figured just the opposite was true... it would certainly be NICE if the engine had the sensible "short-circuiting" processing logic of the .Net framework, for example, in order to exclude superfluous tests, but what evidence is there that it does?  I mean, how do you know that the engine doesn't evaluate everything else in the WHERE clause???

Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 79 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply