The Basics of INCLUDE

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Basics of INCLUDE

• I have limited experience with INCLUDEs, but I would add that they are particularly relevant for table-valued functions that are accessed via CROSS or OUTER APPLY operators. The performance implications can be a game changer.

• Great point. I ought to try and demo that as well and show where this is useful.

• Great introduction to a very useful feature, Steve.  Thanks for taking the time to write it up and post it.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thanks, glad you like it

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Thanks, glad you like it

I think a large part of why I like it is because it's at a really back-to-the-basics level but also has a mention of performance (I know... hard to avoid for the given subject).  You don't see much of that anymore.  It's become a problem on SQL Saturdays and, dare I say it, at the PASS Summit.  A lot of things labeled as "Beginner" really aren't anymore and those that are seem to avoid the subject of "performance", which every beginner should learn about from the git whether for on-premise or in the cloud.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Great article - thank you for posting!

I hope this doesn't come off wrong. I'm far from a grammar Nazi... but It looks like you may have a typo at the start of your summary.

"Using the INCLUDE clause and help you..."

Thank you for all that you do to help the community grow. It would be next to impossible for accidental DBA's like myself to function without such a strong community.

• Thanks, edited the article and you are welcome.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply