The Daily Commute

• also, about stuff at home being stolen - if you work from home occasionally (as I do) it's much better to remote in using RDC or similar and do work on your "work" computer. That way there is a clean separation between data that you own and data the company owns.

plus that way your work is protected if you home computer gets nicked.

---------------------------------------
    elsasoft.org

• Hmm although 7.5 miles certainly would be better exercise, I'm sure the car would win out if that were the case. Free parking at work too

But there is a downside - very occasionally I get drenched in the rain.

• working from home would be nice.. then all I'd have to do is either bring my laptop home, or use my own computer with a vpn client.. all my stuff for work is on the network

--------------------------

I long for a job where my databases dont have any pesky users accessing them 🙂

• In one of my previous jobs I was a one man IT team, and I had the ability to VPN in from home to sort out problems (the business was a 364 days per year tourist attraction, about 45 minutes drive from home on a good day) - this enabled me to sort out at least 75% of problems that happened at weekends etc, but people got used to the fact that I was able to do this and took advantage of me on my days off! I had stupidly signed a contract to say that I was in a management grade and was not entitled to overtime!

• As I posted earlier - I did a 2.5 hour stint from home via VPN to my work PC - easiest thing in the world. Oh - ho comming upto 5 pm here time for my homeward snooze on the bus 😀

Hiding under a desk from SSIS Implemenation Work :crazy:

• Joshua Chapman (7/11/2008)

My commute is 65 miles each way by motorbike, but with 165 stallions and a twitchy right hand the journey is quite fun. 😀

The only problem is the work in the middle - ho hum.

My current company moved last summer.

Original commute was 25 miles, all of it 2-lane blacktop and one of the twistiest roads in So. Cal. Less than a dozen stoplights for the whole commute. I rode my Supermoto for the most part as the RC51 is a bit much on the one twisty road.

After the move, I ride only 19 miles, all of it still 2-lane blacktop and only SIX stoplights. For this one, I usually ride either my SuperHawk or the RC51. The Supermoto stays pretty much wrung-out as it only has an ~80mph top speed. Too abusive on a big-single to do that to it every day.

We also have the benefit of 'lane-splitting/sharing' when traffic gets congested and speeds are under 35mph.

I've been commuting on motorcycles for so long now, that I go insane having to commute in my truck. What takes me 15 minutes on a bike, takes almost 40 minutes in the truck due to all the ignant drivers that exist in So. Cal.

Best parts of my day are my commutes. Indeed, too bad about that 'work' thing in the middle of the day... :hehe:

Your friendly High-Tech Janitor... 🙂

• You have a SuperHawk and an RC51? As a previous SH owner I am jealous 🙂 It is incredible how much better of a mood I am in on those days I can ride even my short ride to work.

Not to mention being able to go riding over lunch to burn of some steam =)

• Also have an '03 EX500 that is in the process of being converted to a LW-twins racer for next year. I'm planning on running the Formula-40 (gotta be 40 years old minimum) WERA West series with it for a couple years.

Indeed, the RC is everything the SuperHawk should be. But the SH is much easier to convince the wife to ride on than the RC (which doesn't even have pass. pegs anymore). 😉

Honestly though, since I bought my KTM SMC625 two years ago, I haven't had as much fun on anything other than that. Riding a supermoto (even a big turnkey one) is a riot. My buddies hated me for getting it cuz within the first week, on the tight roads I was beating the daylights out of em w/it. It's just sooo much easier to ride than the bigger sporties. The SMC is retardedly fun under 80mph, anything faster than that and it's losing out bigtime.

Your friendly High-Tech Janitor... 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 91 through 97 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply