The Daily Commute

• sharon.bender (8/4/2008)

I live in Australia, and I travel a half hour by car AWAY from the city, so I don't really have any traffic.

However, I also have permission to spend some of my time working from home which is accomplished using Remote Desktop to login to my computer at the office.

In this day and age, in the field we're in, I don't understand why more people aren't telecommuting. It really gets my goat to have to spend an hour a day traveling even SOMETIMES at this point. There's no reason for it, as I am just as effective working from home as from the office, and in fact, am usually more efficient, as I don't have to keep being interrupted by users and others.

I think working one day/week in the office and spending that whole day liaising with people who need to meet with me, and working 4 days/week from home would work the best.

What do you all think out there?

I agree.. when bumped up to dba i was half-hearted promised atleast 1 day a week from home at some point.. still waiting.. and while its fun racking up 100 miles a day on my car and selling my kidney for gas money.. i think i may go bug em about it

--------------------------

I long for a job where my databases dont have any pesky users accessing them πŸ™‚

• torpkev (8/4/2008)

selling my kidney for gas money.. i think i may go bug em about it

:hehe: Admirably laid-back attitude Kev!

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Chris Morris (8/4/2008)

torpkev (8/4/2008)

He has to be laid-back, it's the dialysis machine. . .

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (8/4/2008)

Chris Morris (8/4/2008)

torpkev (8/4/2008)

He has to be laid-back, it's the dialysis machine. . .

He's an Australian so it wont be taking anything out it'll be putting Lager in! πŸ˜€

Hiding under a desk from SSIS Implemenation Work :crazy:

• actually im a brit living in the US.. but same concept i spose πŸ˜€

--------------------------

I long for a job where my databases dont have any pesky users accessing them πŸ™‚

• torpkev (8/4/2008)

actually im a brit living in the US.. but same concept i spose πŸ˜€

my bad πŸ˜‰

I read sharon's post as Kev's πŸ˜€

--Shaun (damn I need to pay attention)

• sharon.bender (8/4/2008)

I live in Australia, and I travel a half hour by car AWAY from the city, so I don't really have any traffic.

However, I also have permission to spend some of my time working from home which is accomplished using Remote Desktop to login to my computer at the office.

In this day and age, in the field we're in, I don't understand why more people aren't telecommuting. It really gets my goat to have to spend an hour a day traveling even SOMETIMES at this point. There's no reason for it, as I am just as effective working from home as from the office, and in fact, am usually more efficient, as I don't have to keep being interrupted by users and others.

I think working one day/week in the office and spending that whole day liaising with people who need to meet with me, and working 4 days/week from home would work the best.

What do you all think out there?

Sounds like a good idea if it works for the individual. My wife worked for a company for 9 years working form home. She was a success story, worked 35 hours a week and got MORE done the those working in the office working 40 hours a week.

Me, I think I could successfully work from home 2 maybe 3 days a week. After that I might start getting distracted.

😎

• Lynn,

We'll let you work from home in the winter. Less to distract you down there πŸ˜‰

• did 2.5 hours from home this morning πŸ˜€

vital job had to go live before the general populace started work today!

The had the usual half hour sleep on the bus on the way in. πŸ˜‰

• I did a 4 hour commute this morning due to a lorry fire! Arghh.

Was the same 40 miles i do every other day!

Matt.

• Steve Jones - Editor (8/4/2008)

Lynn,

We'll let you work from home in the winter. Less to distract you down there πŸ˜‰

LOL. I live in the banana belt. The north end of Colorado Springs can get dumped on, we'll get nothing or maybe a dusting the majority of the time down in the Fountain/Security/Widefield area.

This isn't to say we don't get dumped on, just most of the time not a lot.

😎

• Working from home is not always a good thing. A man who used to live in the apartment above me worked at a Internet media company (now defunct) and worked at home from time to time, even though the company was a block away. About 10 years ago a thief broke into the apartment building and stole his computer - and all his backups. Left the other apartments alone - and all the other computers, including my then 5 year old Compaq running Windows 95 (and all my Works documents). This discussion led me to look him up - and make a connection via one of those social networking sites.

• Seggerman, thats a good point. With working from home, you have the added responsibility of securing your data and equipment.

In my last job, i worked from home occasionally. To do that i would have to drag home my laptop, 2-3 portable hard drives and countless documents and files. All of this was stored in my laptop bag, so if that had been nicked, i wouldve been right up poo creek without a paddle.

Id rather commute than have that responsibility again.

• πŸ˜€ I am so lucky in my current job :). I cycle 2.5 miles to work, along a mostly traffic free route, however I do lug a heavy laptop around in a backpack, :hehe: 15 minute commute and a little exercise along the way - it makes for such a better quality of life.

I have done long commutes and working away before - but I'm in no rush to go back to that kind of travel again.

• Tom Brown (8/5/2008)

πŸ˜€ I am so lucky in my current job :). I cycle 2.5 miles to work, along a mostly traffic free route, however I do lug a heavy laptop around in a backpack, :hehe: 15 minute commute and a little exercise along the way - it makes for such a better quality of life.

I have done long commutes and working away before - but I'm in no rush to go back to that kind of travel again.

agreed, although 2.5 miles is too short. you should move 5 miles farther away from work. πŸ™‚

---------------------------------------
    elsasoft.org

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply