The Daily Commute

• jezemine (7/9/2008)

I bike to work every day, 14 miles roundtrip. When I bought a house 3 years ago, I purposely bought a house that was within reasonable biking distance to work because I hate driving (which is appropriate because I work at a traffic company!)

Regarding the worst commutes in the US, you may be interested in this report the company I work for put together (I did all the calculations for it). It shows the worst traffic bottlenecks in the US:

http://scorecard.inrix.com

Let's hope none of your commutes are along the Cross Bronx Expressway in NYC - parts of it are congested over 90 hours a week! They should call it the Cross Bronx Parking Lot.

I also bike to work (18 miles RT) and I'd strongly encourage anyone who lives within 10 miles, or so, to try it. I used to only have a 3+ mile one way commute and I actually enjoy the longer bike commute more than that shorter route. I wasn't getting enough excersize with the shorter ride.

Bicycling make sense on so many different levels these days.

• yes, cycling is great. before I moved my commute was 35 miles roundtrip. those days I had some legs!

after I moved commute was only 8 miles roundtrip which seemed way too short. then I changed jobs to a place a bit further away. 14 miles roundtrip is perfect. πŸ™‚

---------------------------------------
    elsasoft.org

• You guys are gonna hate me...:angry: I have a 5-minute commute! The worst part? I feel guilty that I should be riding a bike or walking instead. But in 2010, our company will be re-locating to some other area in town as yet undisclosed. So that will require some adaptation on my part I guess. Simple, I'll just move to a location that's 5 minutes from wherever that new location is!

Forgot to add, it's in OK (hey Rudy).

Best commute? The year I was in Dallas. (Sorry if this comes off as chauvinistic, but justing stating what I observed). Only three or four miles to work but quite a few stop lights. But at each stop, there were often attractive ladies on each side of me waiting for the light to change. Texas (and Dallas in particular) seems to have a reputation for this phenomenon.

Woohoo! Just found out the company is staying in this location until 2018. Apologies to those with long commutes. :Whistling:

• 75 ft.

15 ft out the bedroom door, 20 ft across the hall and down 1/2 the stairs. 10 ft to get down around the corner and about 15ft back to the office.

The other 15 ft? Detour to the coffee machine and back before sitting down πŸ™‚

• in Houston, only people with death wish are bikers. There are very few bike lanes, and mostly for recreation only, meaning in parks and such places. Have anyone try to compete with huge SUVs flying by at 80 mph on the average? They must all get used to 80-90 mph outside of the city limits. Even in inner city streets, nobody drives slower than 40 mph. Also, there are some very militant bikers out there. they cruise along in the middle of the street around 10mph. Imagine the line of 20/30 cars behind that idiot. No wonder blood pressure and road rage and offensive gestures are so common.

• in Houston, only people with death wish are bikers

You're not kidding. I moved to Houston in '94 from CO. After getting here, I realized I would get killed if I tried to ride in the same manner as I did in CO. What's worse is an almost complete lack of sidewalks. I can't even walk the 3 blocks to the shopping center that was recently built near my house. I HAVE to drive. :w00t:

Fortunately, the Park & RIde is a 1/2 mile away so my daily commute is now 1 mile round trip πŸ˜€

MG

"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
    Tony Hoare

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." Red Adair.

• My commute is 65 miles each way by motorbike, but with 165 stallions and a twitchy right hand the journey is quite fun. πŸ˜€

The only problem is the work in the middle - ho hum.

• tvu4251 (7/10/2008)

in Houston, only people with death wish are bikers. ... Also, there are some very militant bikers out there. they cruise along in the middle of the street around 10mph. Imagine the line of 20/30 cars behind that idiot. No wonder blood pressure and road rage and offensive gestures are so common.

It's too bad that Houston hasn't made accommodations for bikers. As far as a biker going down the middle of the street, if there isn't a bike lane, or a paved shoulder to ride on, then this is exactly what a biker is forced to do. Sidewalks are not safe for bikers or pedestrians. Many cities prohibit bike riding on sidewalks. Believe me when I say that most bikers do not want confrontations with vehicles 50 times their size. We know who loses when there's a collision. I think every state grants the same rights and responsibilities to bikes as to any other vehicle... and of course bikes are not allowed on freeways where all non-motorized vehicles are prohibited.

• I have an hours commute in the morning and an hour back.. missus wont move closer to my work and no decent sized companies looking for my job back where i live *sob*

cost of gas is killing me.. roadwork all summer long.. driving into the sun on the way to work and into the sun on the way back.. stupid drive *grumble*

--------------------------

I long for a job where my databases dont have any pesky users accessing them πŸ™‚

• Just to increase the pain: My commute is just about 1 mile. When the weather is nice, I walk.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (7/28/2008)

Just to increase the pain: My commute is just about 1 mile. When the weather is nice, I walk.

i hate you πŸ˜›

--------------------------

I long for a job where my databases dont have any pesky users accessing them πŸ™‚

• tvu4251 (7/10/2008)

in Houston, only people with death wish are bikers. There are very few bike lanes, and mostly for recreation only, meaning in parks and such places. Have anyone try to compete with huge SUVs flying by at 80 mph on the average? They must all get used to 80-90 mph outside of the city limits. Even in inner city streets, nobody drives slower than 40 mph. Also, there are some very militant bikers out there. they cruise along in the middle of the street around 10mph. Imagine the line of 20/30 cars behind that idiot. No wonder blood pressure and road rage and offensive gestures are so common.

I lived in Houston for 8 years. Worst drivers I've ever seen. I've also lived in Los Angeles and Washington, DC, which both have reputations for heavy traffic and bad driving, but they don't even come close.

At least once a week, on my 15 minute commute, there'd be a lane or more closed because some idiot came out of a driveway to make a left turn, without looking at the lanes he'd have to cross first. I don't think I ever saw less than 3 cars go through the red light, sometimes I'd see cars keep going through till the light had actually changed back to green! 80 MpH on surface streets in residential neighborhoods. Side-slams were common, where someone merged without even looking, much less signaling.

(Amusingly enough, someone was giving me a ride somewhere one time, and she was trying to merge left. She finally got mad and said, "well, if you won't just let me merge..." and turned on the turn signal with an angry move. As if the turn signal were some means of punishing other drivers!)

I was very glad to get out of Houston traffic.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Had a 6 month assignment that required me to leave my home at 5:30 AM to travel (driving) 21 miles to Newark NJ airport - time 30 minutes. Board a plane and fly to Buffalo NY flight time just about 1 hr in good weather 1 hr 15 minutes in bad weather. Drive 20 miles from Buffalo airport using rental car - 20 minutes or so. Reversed above at 5 PM returning home just about 7 PM. Did this Mondays through Fridays for 26 weeks. Now not much driving time but covered a heck of distance, and all this was before frequent flyer mileage was known.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• I live in Japan, I have to go everywhere by train, I live about 30k from tokyo, however, the land of the shinkansen, has really slow trains. in the uk I would live about reading to London that would take around 20mins on the fast train and cost around 6 pounds a day with a travel card even cheaper.

In japan it costs a hell of a lot more and takes me 2hrs, of thouse of you who think you pay though the teeth to travel and that the uk rail sucks. It does to here in Japan we have delays we have high fares everywhere is the same, however in the uk you can travel anywhere for as little as 5 pounds in London you cant do that here in Tokyo, there is no travel card for one day it can cost anywhere up to about 15 pounds to go anywhere.

I used to complain about the uk travel don't ever come and drive in Japan, damn the speed limit is 80kph it takes you forever to get anywhere.

The only good thing is they drive on the same side as the uk, πŸ˜‰ Terry

• tedo (7/28/2008)

I live in Japan, I have to go everywhere by train, I live about 30k from tokyo, however, the land of the shinkansen, has really slow trains. in the uk I would live about reading to London that would take around 20mins on the fast train and cost around 6 pounds a day with a travel card even cheaper.

In japan it costs a hell of a lot more and takes me 2hrs, of thouse of you who think you pay though the teeth to travel and that the uk rail sucks. It does to here in Japan we have delays we have high fares everywhere is the same, however in the uk you can travel anywhere for as little as 5 pounds in London you cant do that here in Tokyo, there is no travel card for one day it can cost anywhere up to about 15 pounds to go anywhere.

I used to complain about the uk travel don't ever come and drive in Japan, damn the speed limit is 80kph it takes you forever to get anywhere.

The only good thing is they drive on the same side as the uk, πŸ˜‰ Terry

Oh no not you again, Terry! I live in Reading and work in Surbiton, it takes 2 hours each way (via either Virginia Water or Basingstoke) and costs a little over 20 quid a day. The packed-solid "fast" train to Paddington takes 35 minutes and costs about the same - then you have to use the tube to get to your work, typically 1 -1 1/2 hours total, door to door. Monthly tickets are about Β£300. Reckon you've been in Japan a while...

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply