The Current Date

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Current Date

• Nice one, thanks Steve
    Learned something new

• Good question thanks Steve

• Nice easy one, thanks!

• For most of my use cases, DATETIME2 seems to make the most sense.  The increased accuracy and smaller storage footprint makes sense.  
    I was enlightened by the DATETIME v DATETIME2 debate when it comes to manipulation & comparison of date/time values.  The amount of conversions from DATETIME2 to DATETIME surprised me.

• Kaye Cahs - Tuesday, July 25, 2017 7:20 AM

For most of my use cases, DATETIME2 seems to make the most sense.  The increased accuracy and smaller storage footprint makes sense.  
    I was enlightened by the DATETIME v DATETIME2 debate when it comes to manipulation & comparison of date/time values.  The amount of conversions from DATETIME2 to DATETIME surprised me.

You save only one byte to get 3 digits of precision.  Yes, it's to the milli-second rather than 3.3 milliseconds but my question then becomes, what is it that you're doing that requires more precision than the nearest 1/300th of a second?

For that 1 byte of savings, you give up being able to do direct date math for things like duration calculations between a start and end date and you certainly lose the ability to easily sum such durations because of silly restrictions that MS put on the DATETIME(2) datatype.  For example...

Msg 529, Level 16, State 2, Line 3
    Explicit conversion from data type datetime2 to float is not allowed.

That also flies in the face of useful ANSI standards where it states that EndDate-StartDate=Interval.  Even bloody Excel can do that much.

Don't think for a minute that MS doesn't know the problem they've created.  Rather than fix the root problem, they've come up with DATEDIFF_BIG(), which still has limits that can be overwhelmed if working with higher precision.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• @steve-2,

Heh... I can only imagine where such a question may have come from. πŸ˜‰

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, July 25, 2017 9:24 AM

@steve-2,

Heh... I can only imagine where such a question may have come from. πŸ˜‰

πŸ˜›

• At the PASS summit, they should hand out SQL Server DBA branded digital watches displaying the current datetime2 formatted as an ISO 8601 string.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• nice question

Manik
    You cannot get to the top by sitting on your bottom.

• I didn't know it had changed, so I learned something new.  Thanks, Steve.

• Crap, I choose the wrong one((((

• I see comments in this post trying to justify the old legacy DateTime Data Type. It's just wrong ! Why would you put up with its vagueness when it comes to precision ?

• David Conn - Monday, August 7, 2017 1:14 AM

I see comments in this post trying to justify the old legacy DateTime Data Type. It's just wrong ! Why would you put up with its vagueness when it comes to precision ?

Because most people don't even need precision to the second never mind the precision to 100 usec.  Another reason is that the DATETIME datatype is more useful because it does allow for direct date math (even Excel allows that) whereas the "new" datatypes do not.  Saving a byte or two or three to give that up is, as you say, just wrong.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• GETDATE() can also be much faster at scale. If you're just looking for days/hours/minutes/seconds, why not use datetime?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply