The Cost of Employee Turnover

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Cost of Employee Turnover

• Eddie Wuerch announced on LinkedIn that he got his notification that he'd been laid of from SalesForce when he tried to login.  That's definitely NOT the way to do proper business, IMHO.  He did report that they're providing him with a more than decent "separation package" but, you have to wonder... In my mind, I referred to Eddie as the "Patriarch of the Peta-Byte Database".  What in the hell is SalesForce thinking???

You can read his announcement at the link below... you may have to scroll up to get to the top...

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn%3Ali%3Aactivity%3A7017122463037751296/?commentUrn=urn%3Ali%3Acomment%3A(activity%3A7017122463037751296%2C7017141797189545984)&dashCommentUrn=urn%3Ali%3Afsd_comment%3A(7017141797189545984%2Curn%3Ali%3Aactivity%3A7017122463037751296)

As a personal sidebar, I consider Eddie to be an incredible asset to the SQL Community and he's been a valuable contributor to many posts on this site.   If you want to see some of his work at PASS, his participation in SQL Saturdays, some of his 'tubes, etc, here's a quick link to "Google" him.

https://www.google.com/search?q=eddie+wuerch

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• And then, there are things like this...

https://www.itprotoday.com/career-development/amazon-slash-more-18000-jobs-escalation-cuts

I know stuff like this happens but this smacks of poor management and "over-hiring" practices.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Outstanding article, Steve! You hit the nail on the head with this one.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Certainly at the tech level I know that training is something that you are best investing in for yourself.  I can't speak for what is typical at the management level.

How many managers are trained to be good managers?

I have seen management training.  Some of it is very good indeed.  Some of it would be good if the attendees were given time to embrace it.  I've certainly seen people who have had to abandon management courses because the pressures of their day job as managers just didn't allow them to make the commitment required.  A decent course does require a good deal of time and effort.

It would be harsh to say that the people who got the most out of the course were those who were best at  directing their work to other people but there would also be a few home truths in it too.

I'm coming to the end of my career.  Of all the managers I have come across I think 3 were exceptional and 1 of those was exceptional even by exceptional standards.  They were different in almost every way.  The only thing they have in common is that they had a talent for making their staff

• Feel valued
    • Feel they were achieving something
    • Feel they were doing something worth while

Those are managers you stick with and perhaps even follow to other companies.  In their case there was a lot of natural leadership talent though I know that at least one spent a lot of their own time and money on career coaching and in finding a mentor.

My perception (and I could be wrong) is that management education may be even less well resourced than technical education.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply