The Coping Thread

• I've started a series on my blog about coping strategies during the pandemic: https://voiceofthedba.com/tag/life/

If anyone is struggling or having a tough time, I'd encourage you to reach out to others, here or elsewhere. This is a community and we need to be here to support each other.

A few other resources that are available for the #sqlfamily:

Looking for more and will add them as I find them.

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• Thanks for doing this Steve - I/we can be solitary in our work so an encouraging voice is a blessing, and maybe just enough to keep us going.  We can get thru this- be safe

Tom in Sacramento - For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

• Thanks, Tom, and I'm trying. I have good days and bad ones, struggling at times, but I am trying to cope in different ways.

Always here if you need a chat.

• Hi

I have been working remotely now for the last 3 weeks and so far it has all been good. Though today I need a short "mental health break", which is actually code for "Go for a surf". I felt much better for it, was able to get back into the support role. The other thing I have found to helpful while working in isolation is Spotify. So many old classics.

Hope everybody else is doing OK in these strange times.

Cheers from Down Under.

Brad

• Hi from the north of England

I take breaks too which makes it easier - I have also been rigid with my work hours and try not to start any earlier nor finish any later than I normally would.

Richard

• Brad Griffin wrote:

Hi

I have been working remotely now for the last 3 weeks and so far it has all been good. Though today I need a short "mental health break", which is actually code for "Go for a surf". I felt much better for it, was able to get back into the support role. The other thing I have found to helpful while working in isolation is Spotify. So many old classics.

Hope everybody else is doing OK in these strange times.

Cheers from Down Under.

Brad

Good for you. I wish I could go for a surf, or a ski. Things closed here, so I can walk around and go out in nature.

• Richard Hurst-243142 wrote:

Hi from the north of England

I take breaks too which makes it easier - I have also been rigid with my work hours and try not to start any earlier nor finish any later than I normally would.

Richard

Hope it keeps working and the weather is extra kind to you this spring.

• My only trouble is that management feels compelled to force engagement between people with virtual lunches, virtual happy hours, group puzzle solving, sharing workspace pictures, sharing pictures of what you had for lunch, tribal rituals, and other "reindeer games".  We didn't do a whole lot of that type of thing at work and, even if we did, it's just not me.  I don't want to get the reputation of not being a "team player" with management but I'm rather enjoying the isolation and really don't want to engage in all of this.

Is there any way to fake my death and then have a miraculous recovery when we finally go back to the office? 😀 😀 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• We are not so bad for that here, but there have been changes that, like you, I don't feel that it's me. Rather they leave everyone doing what they did before, and don't start sending stupid pictures to and fro.

• Management is concerned, and trying to engage people. Certainly many of us are introverts, but there is a difference between enjoying your own company, but being in social areas, and being at home with no one else.

Some might really cope well, but most don't, so I think it's worth understanding management is trying to keep people engaged and social in different ways. Certainly most of these should be optional, but I do think it's easy to forget how much all of us need some human contact.

• Jeff,

I just love that quote. "Dear Lord... I'm a DBA so please give me patience because, if you give me strength, I'm going to need bail money too!"  

It took me a while, but I finally got back in my chair (having fallen out laughing so hard) to send you this reply and say thank you for making my day.

(Still laughing and my co-workers are wondering what's up.) Let 'em wonder.

Aubrey W Love
    aka: PailWriter
    https://www.aubreywlove.com/

• One rather weird one that I have found now that I am working from home is that every morning when I get up, I go and open all the blinds and curtains in the house, even in the rooms I normally don't go into, and then every evening after finishing work, I go and close them all again.  When I was going to the office, I might open the bedroom curtains, but everything else stayed closed - I wasn't there and it was easier and quicker to ignore them.

For some reason, having the house filled with daylight rather than artificial light just makes it seem more of a, "you should be working now" type situation.  Minor and weird, I know, but it just seems to make a difference.

• Daylight is nice. I know that I enjoyed having my blinds open in the winter. Now, it's too hot with a South facing window and the office is dark most of the day

• I don’t have the opportunity to work from home, but still I exist in a world of isolation at my work. I’ve been working for this company for 4 years and count on one hand the amount of times my boss has come out of his office to talk to me. Each of those conversations were less than two minutes and strictly work related. I am surrounded by other departments that chat daily amongst themselves, but I don’t fit in because they are data entry only and I am a DBA / Full-stack developer, thus we have very little in common. They are of a young generation and have different interest and hobbies than I do.

Signed: lonesome in a crowd.

Aubrey W Love
    aka: PailWriter
    https://www.aubreywlove.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply