The Blame Game

• I actually finds it disturbing how much information some of these companies have access to! Just over a year ago I was told that a certain company would do a security check before passing me to an agent. The person doing the cheque knew the details for my last salary payment, the date and amount I paid Amex the previous month, etc. Being able to access a myriad of information like this seems by default insecure. It also seems quite vague as to the security checks these people go through. In the same way parking agencies can access your vehicle ownership details despite many of their staff coming over as criminals themselves! End of Friday Rant!

As regards a person's first degree this is in m y view largely irrelevant.  When I was looking for a job one company covered ageism by saying they were looking for someone with a computer science degree. I have a degree in physics and a masters in IT so, sorry, that was complete rubbish. Two of the best programmers I have come across in recent years had degrees in music and Latin respectively. I think it does need to be a rigorous degree but not specifically computer science.

• I've got a question which is related to Equifax, but not specific to this question/thread. I haven't done a credit rating check on myself in several years, but I know that other companies do that for their own research, like when I apply for a loan or some companies do that when you're applying for a job. Is there any way to find out if your personal information is on the 143 million that were compromised?

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Rod at work - Friday, October 13, 2017 9:10 AM

I've got a question which is related to Equifax, but not specific to this question/thread. I haven't done a credit rating check on myself in several years, but I know that other companies do that for their own research, like when I apply for a loan or some companies do that when you're applying for a job. Is there any way to find out if your personal information is on the 143 million that were compromised?

Equifax set up a website where you can check but allegedly it is not 100% accurate. I tried to post the link but it results in me exiting the forum!

I've got a question which is related to Equifax, but not specific to this question/thread. I haven't done a credit rating check on myself in several years, but I know that other companies do that for their own research, like when I apply for a loan or some companies do that when you're applying for a job. Is there any way to find out if your personal information is on the 143 million that were compromised?

Just assume it is. I wouldn't trust that they know exactly what was and wasn't released.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Friday, October 13, 2017 10:30 AM

Rod at work - Friday, October 13, 2017 9:10 AM

Just assume it is. I wouldn't trust that they know exactly what was and wasn't released.

At this point, I think Equifax is basically saying "your data was stolen."  I know the wife and I took the steps to freeze our credit reports with all three of the companies (Equifax, Transunion, and whatever the other one is,) normally there's a fee to do this unless you have proof your identity was stolen and used.

Equifax didn't charge either of us, which says something right there.

• For a CEO to blame an individual in public is blatantly unprofessional and indicative of the malaise at Equifax.  Part of a manager's role is to build trust and respect.  The blame game destroys both.  Without trust some of the more difficult tasks become difficult, if not impossible, to execute.  So much of what is achieved within an organisation is a product of good will.
    I don't have a degree but do play the piano.  Much of my work is published on this site.  Form your own judgements.

Here in the US, I believe that, by law, if an employer or lender pulls your credit report, you have a right to a copy of that report. However, you are not automatically notified, you must request it. I'm not sure, but I think they are required to notify you if their decision not to open an account is based on information in the credit report.

https://consumercomplianceoutlook.org/2013/second-quarter/adverse-action-notice-requirements-under-ecoa-fcra/

http://money.cnn.com/2013/03/04/pf/employer-credit-checks/index.html

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• jasona.work - Friday, October 13, 2017 10:45 AM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Friday, October 13, 2017 10:30 AM

Rod at work - Friday, October 13, 2017 9:10 AM

At this point, I think Equifax is basically saying "your data was stolen."  I know the wife and I took the steps to freeze our credit reports with all three of the companies (Equifax, Transunion, and whatever the other one is,) normally there's a fee to do this unless you have proof your identity was stolen and used.

Equifax didn't charge either of us, which says something right there.

Now there are fake emails going around offering you a Three Bureau Credit Report. The email address is gobbledegook but I am sure some people will click on the link and dig a deeper hole for themselves! Email and igtenet providers need to do better on security and spam!

• Ordinarily the plebeians would be demanding their elected leaders "DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS !!!".

However, under the present circumstances they're just praying the crisis will blow over without provoking any government action.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply