The Best Laptop

• Thanks for the info. I will check out my settings.

• This article reminded me of a saying I read somewhere long time back:

"Modern man lives in the illusion that he knows what he wants while he actually wants what he needs".

PS. I absolutely hate using the "Little Stick" or the touch pad on laptops and I think it stems from the fact that I suck at it! I prefer the rodent instead! 😉

• One thing, seldom mentioned that for me is very important, is the ability to swap the DVD drive for a second battery.

• That could be important, but I've never used a 2nd battery. There are times I'm running low, but haven't been concerned enough.

If that's important to you, then those are things to watch out for. That might make the one I like not be the best for you.

• Not really fond of the stick myself. I like the touchpad - but really prefer to just use a mouse. I do hate when the cursor jumps - typically happens when I am slouch typing. Adjusting the sensitivity settings work fine for me.

I would also say that the best laptop is really the one that gets the job done in the price that can be afforded. If that means two batteries - then so be it. For me, I would really prefer to have as much ram and processor as possible. Screen size is important too - I like 17 inch on my laptops. Tried going back to a 15 after getting a 17 from work - and it was too small.

Glad you like the new Toshiba - err Linovo.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Manie Verster (2/10/2010)

I have a HP (Hewlett-Packard) laptop with no trackpoint and have been thinking about getting a laptop with a trackpoint. I use a mouse, not the touchpad, and have been thinking of disabling the touchpad but then there is the rare occassion that I need it. I can not for the life of me get myself to work in bed no matter how sick I am.

The HP laptop I recently bought has a wonderful little (very tiny) button (slightly recessed to prevent accidental touches) with 3 even tinier lights located just below the space bar. If I press it, the lights turn orange and the touchpad is disabled. Press it again and the touchpad reenables. I hate touchpad's because my thumbs always seem to hit them at a most critical moment and the feature of being to easily disable it with a simple push button was one of the things that sold me on the HP. The other things that sold me is how cool this particular model (17" GS series) stays to the touch even after hours of usage and the fact that it has a nearly full size keyboard WITH a numeric keypad. Considering the big screen, battery life is pretty good (for me) at between 4 and 6 hours with the standard battery depending mostly on how much you're actually using it (hard disk, DVD, etc).

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• FYI, we'd used Dells for years also and found them to be reliable...

However, our latest purchase of a Dell laptop--i.e., the laptop from hell--is the biggest waste of money yet. Three motherboards and 2 screens later--not to mention the constant blue screens of death which Dell blames on software and vice versa--we've decided never to purchase another Dell again. This Dell was supposed to be our workhorse and wasn't cheap.

It seems Dell's gone down the road of cheaper is better. It could be this is an outlier, but based on the nonsense of having that many motherboards replaced within the first 4 months and still not having a consistently functioning unit, I won't ever buy another Dell again.

• Over the last 30 years I have had many "portable computers" and when it come to laptops I have had mostly Dell and HP; with great success. Most people I know that buy Sony, Toshiba, etc... usually keep buying new laptops.

I currently have a HP that turned 6 (y.o.) last week and I am even running Win7 on it. I also have a HP Dv17, I love, the bezel-less screen is fantastic and I have every type of connector you would want; HDMI, eSATA, 1394, wireless N, ...

But, I expect in just a few years they will be just like "toasters".

• Every manufacturer has a series of horror stories from a particular person. My wife got a new Dell Lattitude late last year, a friend got one as well, both love them. No issues. I have an 8 year old Dell 17" that works well, although the radio died last year so it needs a wireless card in it.

I am very happy with the Lenovo so far. It's just solid and feels well built. No issues to date. However I think other than the "little stick", most laptops would work for me.

• "Best" is one of those fun words that doesn't have a real meaning. My favorite one of those is "soon".

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I am late to this thread but I just found out my old Toshiba comes with better networking than less than one year old lower priced HP running Vista. I needed to help a friend and found out the HP could not connect to the wireless network while in my Toshiba switching between local area connection to wireless is just turn on the wireless card. And I have used the Toshiba to connect at more than 10 airports, so I may still look at Toshiba but will not buy from a retail store.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply