The Best Job

• I think I'd enjoy a restaurant. I love to cook for family and friends, but like Steve I'd have to try it for a while (I don't know long nights, weekends... - oh I just described my current job)

• Like a lot of people, my first impulse is to say that I'd like to pursue one of my hobbies as a profession: building and repairing bicycles or cooking. 

After thinking about it a bit more, I'm going with architect.  I've always been interested in it and the creativity and problem solving really appeal to me.

Greg

Greg

• I'd like to write, as well.  I started a novel, but at the rate I'm going, it won't ever get finished.  I'd like to spend 2-3 hours writing every day, but the job would frown on that. 

So long, and thanks for all the fish,

Russell Shilling, MCDBA, MCSA 2K3, MCSE 2K3

• I would like to be… any one of the following, a blacksmith, an architect, an author, or a fine furniture maker.  The one thing they all have in common is creativity.  I think that is something all of us in this profession enjoy (at least the good ones).  It never occurred to me until an artist friend of mine pointed out that all of my friends were in one way or another highly creative.  I thought that’s true, but how do I the lone geek fit in.  It was then that I realized that writing code was one of the most creative professions out there.  I’m sure it was the creative aspect that unwittingly first attracted me to this profession.  I mean, where else can you build a living breathing application out of nothing else but 1’s and 0’s.

• I've had a lot of jobs - I've been a barber, a mechanic, a realtor, a sailor, a tv repairman, a systems engineer, help desk manager, a cable tv engineer and am currently a Remedy System developer.  After I moved to Arizona, I discovered horses.  If I could afford to, I'd be a wrangler at a ranch near here. Riding out in the desert, working with kids and adults - I wanna be a cowboy!! 

• If money wasn't an issue, I would do volunteer work for a living. Perhaps teaching disadvantaged kids so that they would have some technical or other training that their school would not normally be able to afford. I would also like to do nationwide and international volunteer work doing projects like Habitat for Humanity or setting up infrastructure where it is desparately needed.

Karen Gayda
    MCP, MCSD, MCDBA

gaydaware.com

• Coach youth soccer!

I started doing this about three years ago because of bad coaches and now I love the game and I love the kids.  I love to watch them grow, mature, and learn.  This goes for the game and life.  Sports provides many opportunities for life lessons.

Side Note:  My poor wife, she puts up with a lot with me and soccer.  I will watch soccer almost any chance I get.  I will even turn it to the Spanish speaking channel and hit the mute button and still watch the game.

If I could get away with it.  That's what I would do!

----------------------------------------------------------

01010011010100010100110000100000010100110110010101110010011101100110010101110010

• ROFLMAO!  I would want to do something with identifying quotes from movies!

John Cusack in Say Anything

• My first choice would be working as an Instructor at the National Outdoor Leadership School (http://www.nols.edu/).

My second choice would be forging Japanese swords using traditional methods.

• If I was wealthy I would want to be a philanthropist. I would donate money to find cures to diseases that prey on humanity. I would try to help and possibly encourage others who are suffering because of an illness. I would also share the bible with those who are willing and ready to do so, where there is no other hope except prayer.

http://jenae.gallegos.home.att.net

• If that's a guy attitude, then I must be a guy trapped in a woman's body - because that's part of why I like the programmer/developer/designer portion of my job. Then again, it could be a mentality of a programmer/developer/designer and your wife may just not be one of us

That's cool that you helped with Habitat for Humanity.  I used to help them for a week in the summer when I was in high school - through their teen project called Inward Bound.  It definitely was a rewarding experience - learning new skills and meeting the families who would eventually get the houses.  If I had the money to keep a roof over my head, food on the table, clothes on my back, I'd definitely go back.

My dream job though would be to go into teaching.  Unfortunately, I'd have to get a masters degree to teach around here, and I'm not sure what I'd go back to get my masters in - MBAs are a dime a dozen around here... maybe go back for engineering or sociology, an area I enjoyed studying in my electives back in college.  As for what level of teaching - maybe a high school level or even a community college level to start... and if I happen to make it to a university, so be it.

• I don't really know what my best job would be?  I have done many things already and I guess I'm still trying to find my niche.  I have been a Cashier, Armored Car Driver, Security Guard, Manager, Web Developer, Police Officer,  and Database Programmer in that order.   So, I have done a lot.  I liked being a Manager and I like technology.   So I think my dream job would be a manager or project manager for a video game company.  I think that would be fun.  But the grass is always greener on the other side. 

But for those of you who may want to check out if it is in fact greener on the other side I found this interesting website http://www.vocationvacations.com/ when I was going through a little bit of a "what do I want to be when I grow up" phase.  They have some interesting job vacations for people to try.  It seems like a cool concept.

• There is nothing more relaxing than being on the open water with not a sound except the wind ripping through the sails and the water lapping/crashing under the hull.  My dream job would be to build yachts and then sail them to their owner wherever they may be in the world.

• Tobias,

If you get there, call me. That sounds wonderful to me as well!

• I'ld like to work for a shipwright lofting and framing sailboats, or perhaps just skipper one.  

-- Optimist with experience and still learning

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply