The Best Computer

• The android "Data" from Star Trek.

Benjamin Lotter
    http://BenjaminLotter.info/[/url]
    http://www.LinkedIn.com/in/BenjaminLotter
    Delight thyself also in the LORD and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
    ~Psalm 37:4

• Wow...lot of great ones so far. I've got two more.

The M5 computer from the episode of Star Trek where they upgraded the Enterprise's computer with the system that started killing people to keep from being shut down but then executed itself when it found out it committed murder.

And of course, my number one has got to be Robot B9 from Lost In Space. That bubble-headed booby!

• (First - a correction for AndyD... Holly is NOT the female computer in Red Dwarf - that is Hilly. Holly is the actor Norman Lovett, a male computer who was in 6 of the 8 seasons of Red Dwarf, Hilly appeared in 2 seasons...)

I have yet to see any computer, in any movie, that even comes close to reality. The closest there is out there is Hal from 2001 because at least Hal goes haywire - like most PC's and Mini's I have known eventually do. If I were God King of the Universe I would make it a law that Hollywood must portray computers as they are in the real world... So in my world....

When Tom Cruise is waving his hands back and forth in Minority Report, there would have to be a blue screen appear stating "Invalid Page Fault"... When Robert Downey is designing his Iron Man suit in Iron Man, there would have to be a flash, and then his hologrammatic screen would go blank, and a message would appear saying "You must load the Dot Net Framework version 35.5 for this to work."... When Will Smith is chasing Sonny the robot in I, Robot, there would have to be a point where Sonny stops dead and a message flashes on his forehead stating "Query not valid for context."... When Sigourney Weaver is rigging the self-destruct in Alien, Mother, the ship's computer would have to announce "Self Destruct Codec is not loaded, please insert original system disk." and she would have to spend 10 movie minutes searching for the disk...

I hate movie computers because they are never real - they always work and never seem to have problems save for Hal in 2001.

Lets face it, by the time we Earthlings actually reach these future visions, SQL Server will require a DBA, a DBAA (assistant), a DBPC (database psychological counselor), and a DBHS (database hair stylist)... - Heck! Even now I am supposed to believe that even one DBA is not enough! What will THAT be in 100 years???

So lets have movies portray what is really coming... Future computers wont be these sleek, failure-proof, save-the-day, know-everything machines - They will all be made by Walmart (having taken over the world in 2050), and they will fail regularly, but can be easily exchanged at your local Walmart.

There's no such thing as dumb questions, only poorly thought-out answers...
  • Jason Miller (12/19/2008)

It was Scotty talking into the mouse of Mac while trying to get transparent aluminum in our times. My first thought was, why not regular aluminum?

Jason, you are right. You have much better memory than I do. :hehe:

• blandry (12/19/2008)

(First - a correction for AndyD... Holly is NOT the female computer in Red Dwarf - that is Hilly. Holly is the actor Norman Lovett, a male computer who was in 6 of the 8 seasons of Red Dwarf, Hilly appeared in 2 seasons...)

I have yet to see any computer, in any movie, that even comes close to reality. The closest there is out there is Hal from 2001 because at least Hal goes haywire - like most PC's and Mini's I have known eventually do. If I were God King of the Universe I would make it a law that Hollywood must portray computers as they are in the real world... So in my world....

When Tom Cruise is waving his hands back and forth in Minority Report, there would have to be a blue screen appear stating "Invalid Page Fault"... When Robert Downey is designing his Iron Man suit in Iron Man, there would have to be a flash, and then his hologrammatic screen would go blank, and a message would appear saying "You must load the Dot Net Framework version 35.5 for this to work."... When Will Smith is chasing Sonny the robot in I, Robot, there would have to be a point where Sonny stops dead and a message flashes on his forehead stating "Query not valid for context."... When Sigourney Weaver is rigging the self-destruct in Alien, Mother, the ship's computer would have to announce "Self Destruct Codec is not loaded, please insert original system disk." and she would have to spend 10 movie minutes searching for the disk...

I hate movie computers because they are never real - they always work and never seem to have problems save for Hal in 2001.

Lets face it, by the time we Earthlings actually reach these future visions, SQL Server will require a DBA, a DBAA (assistant), a DBPC (database psychological counselor), and a DBHS (database hair stylist)... - Heck! Even now I am supposed to believe that even one DBA is not enough! What will THAT be in 100 years???

So lets have movies portray what is really coming... Future computers wont be these sleek, failure-proof, save-the-day, know-everything machines - They will all be made by Walmart (having taken over the world in 2050), and they will fail regularly, but can be easily exchanged at your local Walmart.

I think you just summarized the plot to Wall-E

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• OOOHHH! I have to add one on the subject of "portrayed realistically"...

Jeff Goldblum's laptop in Independence Day. He was able to tap into totally alien computers and operating systems in about 5 minutes without even any knowledge of their language or protocols. WOW! That TCP/IP really is universal isn't it?

• There are so many candidates for complelling film computers, but overall I think Ridley Scott's original "Alien" does it for me. The movie starts off with shots of the command line basically bringing the entire ship back to life, firing up all the systems (supposedly triggered by the alien homing beacon..but later revealed to be a "scheduled job"...)

Then there's the "Mother" interface - the room full of twinkling Xmas lights; how many of us are still waiting for THAT piece of hardware..?? But perhaps even more pervasive is Ash - a robot but, of course, also a computer that drives much of the story line and carrying out the master plan.

• Jason Miller (12/19/2008)

It was Scotty talking into the mouse of Mac while trying to get transparent aluminum in our times. My first thought was, why not regular aluminum?

The Holodeck? And people thought the 80s crack wave was bad...

For me it wasn't the computer, but the interface. I've discussed at length the advantages and disadvantages of an interface similar to the one in "Saturn 3". Direct connection between the computer and a human brain.

While it could really speed up a lot of things, I'm not a fan. Too easy to "pass a virus".

I never quite understood how a military vehicle would allow such a stupidly dangerous device as the holodeck to continue use.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• How about one that was annoying...

Max Headroom

• Well, the most impressive system would have to be the one in The Matrix. Heck, they even figured out how to use humans as a power source AND kept us entertained.

My favourite is the WOPR from Wargames though. Has enough sense to figure out the concepts behind mutally assured destruction by comparing it to tic-tac-toe. It also demonstrated how expensive computers were back then. Not only did they have to load it with war simulations but they also used it as a gaming server:

FALKEN'S MAZE

BLACK JACK

GIN RUMMY

HEARTS

BRIDGE

CHECKERS

CHESS

POKER

FIGHTER COMBAT

GUERRILLA ENGAGEMENT

DESERT WARFARE

AIR-TO-GROUND ACTIONS

THEATREWIDE TACTICAL WARFARE

THEATREWIDE BIOTOXIC AND CHEMICAL WARFARE

GLOBAL THERMONUCLEAR WAR

If Deep Blue were to go up against the WOPR in a chess match, I'd put my money on WOPR. If it starts to lose, instead of knocking the board over like a frustrated human player it could always threaten to start WWIII and the Deep Blue operators would just concede. Now that's some good programming.

• This is pretty recent and it's from a video game not a movie/tv, but I liked GLaDOS from the game Portal quite a bit.

• 3 way tie between Holly (Red Dwarf), Marvin (HG2G), and Genie (The Great Time Machine Hoax). Don't expect TGTMH to be great literature, it's just plain fun reading. Genie in TGTMH is almost the exact opposite of Marvin.

• Simply gotta be Die Hard 4

• I'm a big fan of Mike from "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" and Ziggy from Quantum Leap. They had tons of personality.

Oh, and Optimus Prime if transformers count!

• The computer that ran the game in eXistenZ was pretty interesting too... I think computer infections will never be shown better as in this one.

Ronald HensbergenHelp us, help yourself... Post data so we can read and use it: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/-------------------------------------------------------------------------2+2=5 for significant large values of 2

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 122 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply