The Best Computer

• For me it has to be ROK, the mad machine from Airplane II (or Flying High II as some people knew it) :hehe:

• Holly from Red Dwarf - in both incarnations!

• Gotta be Robbie the Robot from Space Family Robinson & Forbidden planet, loads of smart processing grunt and can brew alcohol - what more do you need?

• For me i think it has to be The Turk, the moody chess playing computer from Sarah Connar Chronicles

• WOPR from the 1983 file wargames, decent film as well considering when it was made.

OR

The computer behind everything in the new(ish) film Eagle Eye.

• Not much of a trekkie, but always thought that holodeck in Star Trek was cool... and completely under used!!

Kindest Regards,

Frank Bazan

• I was quite impressed by the MI computers in the latest James Bond. That's how a dream computer should work.

But to me, the best computer scene in all the movie history of all times is the Star Trek scene (I can't remember the title of the movie, the one where they go back to our times to save the whales), when Mr Spock grabs a mouse and uses it as a microphone saying "Computer!". I literally rolled on the floor laughing the first time I've seen that!

• For fictional, it has to be any of the 'positronic' robots from Dr Asimov, particularly R. Danial Oliver. Or for somethin a little more real I cant wait to have a Microsoft 'Surface' coffee table or fridge door. 😀 but I don't suppose I'll be getting a big enough xmas bonus this year, maybe next xmas 🙂

Assumption is the mother of all F***ups

• I have always had a soft spot for Marvin the paranoid android in the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

I wasn't that keen on the film version, but in the radio shows and the books, he is ...well, interesting.

HT

• Definitly Orac in Blake's 7

The most intelligent computer ever designed

Arjen

• Nuts. I was going to put Collosus up. The Forbin Project.

It's also a series of books; Collosus, Fall of Collosus, Collosus and the Crab.

I suspect they're VERY dated now.

Oh, hey, I know, Mike from The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Not a movie, but it should be.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• It was Scotty talking into the mouse of Mac while trying to get transparent aluminum in our times. My first thought was, why not regular aluminum?

The Holodeck? And people thought the 80s crack wave was bad...

For me it wasn't the computer, but the interface. I've discussed at length the advantages and disadvantages of an interface similar to the one in "Saturn 3". Direct connection between the computer and a human brain.

While it could really speed up a lot of things, I'm not a fan. Too easy to "pass a virus".

Honor Super Omnia-
    Jason Miller

• EdVassie (12/19/2008)

Deep Thought.

Marvin and Holly are very close contenders, but Deep Thought has the solution to Life, the Universe, and Everything, even though you won't like the answer.

helen.trim (12/19/2008)

I have always had a soft spot for Marvin the paranoid android in the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

I wasn't that keen on the film version, but in the radio shows and the books, he is ...well, interesting.

HT

Both very true, though I think the earth should win. It is so big, it's often mistakenly seen as a planet.

Ronald HensbergenHelp us, help yourself... Post data so we can read and use it: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/-------------------------------------------------------------------------2+2=5 for significant large values of 2

• I'm partial to the displays and computers seen in Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, built from lifeforce.

While fictional, it does seem to me that it could be not-so-far off to have a virtual display and keyboard. Think WII remote (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/) meets retinal display (http://www.cc.gatech.edu/classes/cs6751b_99_winter/projects/gromit/tdh/hw3/virtual_retinal_display.html), you take your computer anywhere because the I/O devices don't physically exist.

Now if we could just power it using the soul of an alien planet . . .

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• The sad thing with many of these interfaces is that they may only arrive in novelty form, or only be used in certain applications.

We've had the same old desktop computer UI (with the addition of the mouse) since the first personal computers, I'm not convinced that there will be such a huge change.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 122 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply