The Beer Cooler Thread

• I drink some Dunkelweizen whenever I'm in Munich, ideally Schneider's Aventinus but it's not too much of a disaster if I accidentally go somewhere where they have Erdinger instead.

Here in Puerto del Carmen for beer I mostly drink Guinness.

And when in the UK I drink many different beers. One of the nicest is Fraoch.

Pictures attached.

I decide not to use the first guiness picture google turned up - it's http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-UWPtv2sE_x4/TlvXYDhieUI/AAAAAAAAAQU/LkCUC_2W_dQ/s1600/guiness.JPG for the curious.

Tom

• Koen Verbeeck (5/30/2012)

GilaMonster (5/30/2012)

I have a good beer bread recipe if anyone want... 😉 :hehe:

Why not 🙂

In Belgium we have quite a lot of recipes with beer. Never heard one about bread though 🙂

One of my favorites is fish with apple and Duvel of course.

You have a pretty good beer bread recipe in Bread Machine Magic.

• Koen Verbeeck (5/30/2012)

On popular request - at least one! - a dedicated topic about beer.

. . .

Thanks, Koen!

• Peter Maloof (5/30/2012)

Hi Cliff,

Cliff Jones (5/30/2012)

I like a home brewed double chocolate stout made using a kit from the Home Brewery.

That sounds like it would make a terrific Beer Float[/url].

You know, I have never tried making a beer float with it. But, I understand that people do do that. I think this homemade Stout turned out better than Young's Double Chocolate Stout (of which I am a fan).

The attached Scots Brown Ale turned out really well also.

• Fat Tire is my current favorite, but I do enjoy an Avalanche Ale as well. Mostly looking for Amber ales when I'm out of CO

For cooking, I'll boil brats in Corona or roast beef in it because it's cheaper and I haven't noticed much taste difference with the ales.

• Sean Lange (5/30/2012)

I would say that the list of unmentionables could easily grow larger but I will leave the snobbery to the Belgians. 😉

Hey, at least leave us that. It's the only thing we can be snobbish about. 😀

(well that and french fries and chocolate. But the Swiss are trying to steal our chocolate thunder)

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Andy Hyslop (5/31/2012)

anthony.green (5/31/2012)

Are you self employed? If so you will need to take a recent correspondence from HMRC in or something along time lines to register for a tradecard to shop in store, otherwise you can only shop online.

Ahh I've never shopped at Makro before, I see you need to be in business or authorised to buy on behalf of a business.

Nope I'm employed and I can't see the organisation getting me a Makro card to buy alcohol 😉

Ahh well I guess I'm just going to have to set up a business then;-)

In Belgium it used to be the case you needed to work for a business or own one (or be in a board of a non-profit organisation), but nowadays everyone can apply for a Makro card.

• John Mitchell-245523 (5/31/2012)

The phrase "beer cooler" is anathema to me, since 90% of beers worth drinking here in the UK are served at room temperature (or certainly no colder than cellar temperature).

In Belgium there are quite a lot of beers that needed to be chilled to get it's "sweet spot" of taste. Most pils (lager I think in English) needs to be server chilled, but beers like Duvel as well. Other beers prefer a more warmer temperature (between 12°C and 17°C), such as Affligem for example. Sometimes it happens I'm craving for a beer and didn't put one in the fridge, so I drink it at room temperature. You can't do that with the "cheaper" beers (such as Jupiler, Stella Artois, ...), but you can get away with it with the more quality beers.

John Mitchell-245523 (5/31/2012)

Belgium is, of course, in a class of its own - I always head to the bar (I can never remember its name) in Antwerp that sells 100 different beers. My favourites are Delirium Tremens, for a single tipple, or Palm for a session beer.

Every city in Belgium has a bar like that 🙂 I don't really like those, as I spent hours and hours contemplating which beer to choose 🙂

Delirium Tremens, I really like that one. Quite a strong one as well.

Palm, I used to drink that a lot when I was young(er). Somehow I got tired of the taste, so I don't drink it anymore.

• Koen Verbeeck (5/31/2012)

Andy Hyslop (5/31/2012)

anthony.green (5/31/2012)

Are you self employed? If so you will need to take a recent correspondence from HMRC in or something along time lines to register for a tradecard to shop in store, otherwise you can only shop online.

Ahh I've never shopped at Makro before, I see you need to be in business or authorised to buy on behalf of a business.

Nope I'm employed and I can't see the organisation getting me a Makro card to buy alcohol 😉

Ahh well I guess I'm just going to have to set up a business then;-)

In Belgium it used to be the case you needed to work for a business or own one (or be in a board of a non-profit organisation), but nowadays everyone can apply for a Makro card.

So I've got two options now, set up a business OR move to Belgium 😉

==========================================================================================================================
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila. Mitch Ratcliffe

• Andy Hyslop (6/1/2012)

Wait untill you see our taxes. The reason we have such great beer is so we can forget our sorrow 😀

• Koen Verbeeck (6/1/2012)

Andy Hyslop (6/1/2012)

Wait untill you see our taxes. The reason we have such great beer is so we can forget our sorrow 😀

:blink: what 50% tax on anything over 35,060 euro, I'm screwed if I ever move to Belgium

• anthony.green (6/1/2012)

Koen Verbeeck (6/1/2012)

Andy Hyslop (6/1/2012)

:blink: what 50% tax on anything over 35,060 euro, I'm screwed if I ever move to Belgium

In retrospect, health care and education are relatively cheap and of high quality 🙂

• what 50% tax on anything over 35,060

I will never moan about taxes again!! :crazy:

==========================================================================================================================
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila. Mitch Ratcliffe

• Andy Hyslop (6/1/2012)

what 50% tax on anything over 35,060

me neither, thought 20% was bad

• anthony.green (6/1/2012)

Andy Hyslop (6/1/2012)

what 50% tax on anything over 35,060

me neither, thought 20% was bad

I would give my left kidney to have only 20% 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 169 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply