The Arms Race

• Steve, could you send me the picture ??? It's cool !!!

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• The double underline hasnt been a big hit for revenue I think precisely because the ads were often not relevant to the article. Thats the downside of linking based on a word or small phrase compared to overall context. I think we're going to try it one more time next month so we can do some comparisons but I suspect that will be the end of it.

• I have to agree with you that most of the time I just flat do not want to be annoyed by advertisements because most ads have nothing to with me. There are times when I have watched a commercial intently and even watched it multiple times. So the bottom line is that I want to be in control of my environment and have a choice of who gets my attention. I do not want companies intruding into my time trying to tell me about things I do not care about our want to know about.

• I just really can't stand the ones that flash. You can't read the article you want to read with this flashy-thing shouting at you.

• I agree with most here that the ads on SSC are focused on the expected readers, and placed in a reasonable manner.  I absolutely hate pop-ups and pop-unders.  I don't care for the animated ads where they use the animation to flicker or flash to draw your attention.  I don't know how much you can control that type of content though, and still get ad revenue.

Student of SQL and Golf, Master of Neither

• Some specific feedback about the two marketing strategies that SSC used recently.  I don't mind the Page Peel advertisement at all.  It's unique and non-intrusive.  The Double Underline drove me crazy.  I move my mouse around a lot while I read web pages and having these pop-unders appear was really distracting. 

my 2 cents

• TV advertising I don't mind so much but I have to admit that I no longer watch it.  My TV at home is only used to watch movies and all of the TV shows that we do watch either comes from us buying it or from NetFlix.

Radio advertising does really anoye me.   The only time that I do listen to it is if NPR is doing a fund drive and I don't have a CD in the car I want to listen to.  Even then I will usually choose to listen to the NPR fund drive over listening to the advertisements.

My main issue the the radio is the same issue I have with the flashy internet ones.  It is so anoying that I don't want to be around it.

I do have to admit though that I would rather have advertisements than pay for most internet sites.

• I think you have a good balance between content and advertising. Vendor's content is easy to spot so if you are not in the mood it is easy to skip. Thanks for the great content.

• Same here. I dont mind ads as such, but for me personally anything that moves/flashes completely dominates everything else on a page - just as if someone is screaming into my ears. I often move a window just to get the flashing bits out of view so that I can concentrate on reading the content of the main page. Or I scroll the main page just to get rid of the distraction. Or I switch to print preview.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply