Thank a Mentor

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Thank a Mentor

• Back in 1968, three years after I finished an undergrad degree in Sociology, I was working as a credit manager when I met a friend, Bob Maple,  who managed a group of programmers at Bendix Corporation, Brake and Steering Division.  At the time I had never even seen a  computer, but Bob invited me to visit him at work to see their IBM 360.

While I was there, he suggested that I take an aptitude test just for fun.  That was a Monday.  I spent an hour in an empty cubicle doing the test.  On Wednesday evening my phone rang and it was the Bendix HR department asking if I was interested in a programming position.  I had  been earning $450 per month as a credit manager, and they offered me $650 a month to come and learn Cobol and Mark IV programming.

That position kicked off my 42 year career in IT, and it was all started by a good friendship.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• Steve... you not a mentor for me that that doesn't stop you from being a hero of mine.  You've kept this site going and inspired a whole world of mentors.  Thank you for what you've done and thank you for what you do!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply