Test your problem solving skills!

• I have already developed a solution to this but I would like to determine if anyone out there has a more elegant solution than mine. I will share mine later and compare notes. Read on below:

Your manager comes to you late on a Friday afternoon and gives you the following information:

"On DBServer1 there are currently over 200 active dbs on that server. Six months ago the prior DBA (who is no longer there) detached over 100 other dbs on that server for our downsizing effort. But I had told him explicitly not to physically delete the files. Just leave them in place for now just in case an app breaks down the line and we need to quickly bring any of them back into service. Well, after six months I am now confidant that those detached db files can now be safely removed, thus giving us back needed disk space on that box. However, before they are removed this is what I want from you:"

"All data(.mdf), log(.ldf), and secondary files(.ndf) currently exist in the D:\MSSQL\DATA directory. No where else. There are currently hundreds of files in that directory. Therefore, I need you to provide me a list in 15 minutes prior to a meeting that will identify all database files that currently exist in that directory that are NOT currently connected to Active databases. In otherwords, I want a list of just detached files only. I do not need to see attached files..." Time is of the essence..:w00t:

How would you go about collecting this information in a timely matter? Include code for your solution..I want specifics not generalities. Travis.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• If I was in hurry I would go with something like....

-- To allow advanced options to be changed.

EXEC sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1

GO

-- To update the currently configured value for advanced options.

RECONFIGURE

GO

-- To enable the feature.

EXEC sp_configure 'xp_cmdshell', 1

GO

-- To update the currently configured value for this feature.

RECONFIGURE

GO

create table #filesInUse

(

filenamesysnamenot null

)

create table #filesInFolder

(

filenamesysname null

)

DECLARE cur CURSOR

READ_ONLY

FOR select name from master.dbo.sysdatabases

DECLARE @name varchar(40)

OPEN cur

FETCH NEXT FROM cur INTO @name

WHILE (@@fetch_status -1)

BEGIN

IF (@@fetch_status -2)

BEGIN

exec('insert into #filesInUse select filename from ' + @name + '.dbo.sysfiles')

END

FETCH NEXT FROM cur INTO @name

END

CLOSE cur

DEALLOCATE cur

GO

declare @BaseFolder sysname

set @BaseFolder = 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA'

declare @cmd varchar(1000)

set @cmd = 'dir "' + @BaseFolder + '" /B';

insert into #filesInFolder

EXEC xp_cmdshell @cmd

select * from #filesInFolder f

where not exists ( select null from #filesInUse u where @BaseFolder + '\' + f.filename = u.filename)

and RIGHT(f.filename,4) in ('.mdf','.ldf')

drop table #filesInUse

drop table #filesInFolder

• Good job! You are very close to what I have but mine is a little different. You used a CURSOR walking all sysdatabases and selecting the singleton table sysfiles to get FilesInUse and then you load that set into a temp table. For that first set I got the same thing set without using a cursor and a temp table by simply doing this:

SELECT

af.[filename] as [Files In Use]

FROM master.dbo.sysaltfiles af

INNER JOIN master.dbo.sysdatabases db ON af.dbid = db.dbid

ORDER BY af.[filename]

go

Much simpler and much less overhead, Now onto the second step, FilesInFolder. I am a little closer to you on this one but still a little different:

declare @path varchar(200)

set @path = 'D:\MSSQL\DATA\'

declare @myquery varchar(1000)

declare @query varchar(1000)

declare @name varchar(1000)

create table #FilesInFolder (id int identity(1,1) ,name varchar(1000))

--Get ALL db files in Folder. Note: You are not accounting for .ndf files I am..

set @myquery = 'dir ' + @path + '*.?df /a'

--Load up the Temp table

insert #FilesInFolder(name)

exec master..xp_cmdshell @myquery

-- Strip out all directory garbage

delete from #FilesInFolder where substring(name,3,1) '/' or name is null or

substring(name,25,1) ='<'

DELETE #FilesInFolder WHERE

SUBSTRING(Name,1,2) '99' OR

Name IS NULL

-- Now look at second result set

select @path + substring(ltrim(rtrim(name)),40,30) from #FilesInFolder

Now it is just a matter of putting together the 2 records sets and determining what files in #FilesInFolder temp table are NOT IN the FilesInUse record set and you got your orphaned files. I accomplished this with one table and one temp table using an EXCEPT where you used a NOT EXISTS:

select @path + substring(ltrim(rtrim(name)),40,30) AS [Detached Files] from #FilesInFolder

EXCEPT

select

af.[filename] AS [FilesInUse]

drop table #FilesInFolder

go

Good job!!! 😀

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• Although this is posted in SQL Server 7/2000 forum, I don't have a SQL Server 2000 system available, so the following solution is for SQL Server 2005. With a few mods and access to a SQL Server 2000 system, I could probably get it working quickly there as well.

create table #Files (

DBFiles varchar(256)

);

insert into #Files

exec xp_cmdshell 'dir "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\*.?df" /b'

delete from #Files

where

DBFiles like 'mast%' or

DBFiles like 'mssqlsys%' or

DBFiles like 'model%' or

DBFiles like 'msdb%' or

DBFiles like 'dist%' or

DBFiles is null;

with DatabaseFiles as (

select

reverse(left(reverse(physical_name), charindex('\',reverse(physical_name)) -1)) DBFiles

from

sys.master_files

where

physical_name like 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data%'

)

select

os.DBFiles

from

#Files os

left outer join DatabaseFiles db

on (os.DBFiles = db.DBFiles)

where

db.DBFiles is null;

drop table #Files;

• Similarly, I'd use xp_cmdshell to get the dir, with a /b tag to eliminate the overhead on that, then I'd query the files in use.

In SQL 2005, I'd use Except to eliminate the attached files. In 2000, I'd use a left join or "where not in".

You can also get a list of what files are in use by SQL Server using MS Process Explorer.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Gus,

You are correct, the EXCEPT would have been easier, but I was trying to keep it close to SQL Server 2000. Only changes needed would be to the appropriate system table, change the CTE to a derived table, and perhaps a column name change may be needed as well.

• Lynn,

Unfortunately after testing, your solution does not find DETACHED files in a directory I supplied. Old Hand's and mine does. Remember guys, we don't care about listing all db files already in use. Only detached files. You correct though, LEFT JOIN on NOT IN, or NOT EXIST will also work in place of EXCEPT in other versions. However, the correct timely solution to the problem is the emphasis here. Not so much what version you are dealing with. I realize this is a SQL 2000 forum though...

• GSquared,

The problem is not to identify Files in use,it is to provide a QUICK list of ALL detached database files ONLY in a directory. MS Process Explorer does not give you this, it gives you files in use. Anyway it is not practical to look manually through a directory of hundreds of database files with an application like Process Explorer in order to determine what files are not in use when your manager needs the hard copy list in 15 minutes...Remember guys, there is a time constraint on this problem.

• talltop (6/12/2009)

GSquared,

The problem is not to identify Files in use,it is to provide a QUICK list of ALL detached database files ONLY in a directory. MS Process Explorer does not give you this, it gives you files in use. Anyeay it is not practical to look manually through a directory of hundreds of database files with an application like Process Explorer in order to determine what files are not in use when your manager needs the list in 15 minutes...Remember there is a time constraint on this problem.

Yes, I was merely including that as an aside.

Here's how I'd do it on my desktop (SQL 2005 Dev Edition):

if object_id(N'tempdb..#T') is not null

drop table #T;

declare @Cmd varchar(1000);

select @Cmd = 'dir "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\Data" /b'

create table #T (

ID int identity primary key,

FName varchar(1000));

insert into #T (FName)

exec xp_cmdshell @cmd;

select 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\Data\' + FName

from #T

where FName like '%df'

and FName not like 'distmdl._df'

and FName not like 'mssqlsystemresource._df'

except

select physical_name

from sys.master_files;

For SQL 2000, I'd have to change the final query to a left outer join, and to the file tables from 2000, but I don't have a copy of 2000 available to do that with, so I can't test it. Would be simple enough to accomplish.

Altogether, that query took me 2 minutes to write and less than a second to run. Would take a little bit longer with a few hundred files, but not much.

Personally, if I disconnect a database, I'd move the files into a separate directory right then and there. Easy enough to revert, and saves effort later. I'd also avoid having MDF and LDF files on the same drive, much less the same directory, on a production server, in almost all cases.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• The problem states that the manager did not want the files moved to another directory and the prior DBA honored that. However, I would have done the same as you would of, moved the files. However, that was not the problem at hand. Also, I tested your 2005 version on my directory before I detached some files and then after as well. The list I get back is identical in both cases listing all db files in the directory detached or not, which does not solve the problem. If there are not detached files in the directory, then no rows should be returned. If there are detached files, then only detached files should be returned in the list. Hold on strike that, I got it working now...There are 2 things I like about your solution though. No Cursors and it is short!!!! Good job!!!!! You also took advantage of the EXCEPT like I did. Better performnce if you are dealing with a lot of files...check out the xplans on the EXCEPT..Also I forgot to mention, this was a TESTBED server for ALL of development and they were pretty much out of space, not a production server which explains the drives and directories...

• Curious. The code Iprovided found all the mdf/ldf files in my data directory that had been detached from SQL Server on my desktop system with no problems. Makes me wonder how you ran your tests.

• I ended up with a mixed solution. I find it simple compared with those you proposed:

Declare @Path varchar(256)

declare @myquery varchar(1000)

Set @Path = 'C:\Archivos de programa\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\'

set @myquery = 'dir "' + @path + '*.?df" /b'

create table #Files (DBFiles varchar(256))

insert into #Files

exec xp_cmdshell @myquery

select @path + DBFiles AS [Detached Files] from #Files where DBFiles IS NOT NULL

EXCEPT

select

af.[filename] AS [FilesInUse]

Tha cleaning code its kind of tricky, with the /b option you get only what you want. After that a simple query and thats it.

Alberto De Rossi
    Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate - SQL Server
    Microsoft MVP - Data Platform
    Power BI User Group Lima - Community Leader

• My first idea on reading the OP was a simple directory listing of the DATA directory - sort by date. I would probably find a bunch of files with last modified dates about 6 months ago. Those are the files to list out. Thats the simple 30-second solution.

Then I read the rest of the thread - And I'll stick with my original idea. 😉

• I believe I'd tell the manager off. It's not his neck if data is inappropriately deleted... it's mine.

I would insist on moving the data to a subdirectory off the main directory. That takes no time at all because DOS is smart enough to realize it's on the same disk and just change the handle to point to the new directory. Of course, active DB's won't move because they're being used. Then I could do three things very easily and safely... 1. Provide the list of file names that were going to be deleted. 2. Do a final backup of all those items that were going to be deleted. 3. Safely delete all those items without fear of selecting the wrong item if someone where foolish enough to put something besides and MDF/LDF/NDF file in the main directory.

DBA has one job and only one job. Protect all data... even the stuff you're deleting especially if you're following ISO or SOX rules.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff,

Although I totally agree with your premise on the way to properly do things, that was not the current situation being faced. This was the situation at hand and a quick solution had to be found. As you traverse your DBA career, you will run into situations that are not always by the book. That's real world. You then will have to adapt and deal with the issue at hand and there have been some eloquent ways presented here by some on how to find and list detached files. Good job guys! That is all part of being a seasoned DBA and this is ALWAYS a good script to have handy in your toolbox. As to telling off your manager, that is never a good idea. Particularly in these days and times when lays offs are rampant. Again, if you read the original post this was a situation that I walked into. I did not create this situation. If I was the DBA at that time I would have also firmly urged moving the files as I said before, but would I have told off my manager over detached files? I don't think so...You have to carefully pick your battles.....:-D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply