Terminal Services - A Couple Tips

• We use Terminal Services Quite Extensively, It works great, it has all but replaced othher tech that we had used in the past for remote management. I did have one thing however to add. When using Terminal services to connect to a Windows 2003 Server you can use the "/console" switch to connect to the actual console of the system. This has many benifits as you can not lock your self out of the console, it works like most other remote desktop programs, whereas when you connect it simply kicks the current session (from the same user, it has the same functionality as if you had locked your computer at the desktop, meaning if you log in as the current user it assumes the previous session, but if you attempt to log in as a different user it will ask you if you want to close the current session and re login) from the machine. So gone is the problem of having to reset or remeber fully log off of your session.

setting the /console flag when connecting to a windows 2000 server has no effect.

secondly on Windows 2003 Server if you do not have terminal services installed but do have remote desktop enabled there is no need to set the /console flag.

The console flag is set after the executable

mstsc.exe \console

on xp and above, or any system that has the client installed on it the executable "mstsc.exe" is normaly located in

c:\%WINDIR%\system32

• thanks for the useful sp code for dealing with all available connections being used up, Sometimes when my connection drops (very rare) i run into the same problem (sessions get orphaned perhaps) In the past i have used the IIS manager to reboot the server- your suggestion is a much better alternative for a production machine- thank you

• I use the Microsoft MMC snap-in as the terminal server client - all the TS connections that I make are there in 1 spot, so no need to manage separate rdp files.

We also set the TS connection timeout to 1 minute (ie end session after client has disconnected for 1 minute). This prevents most problems with only allowing 2 logins.

Steve

• Speaking of using TS to administer SQL Server - don't try to termserv to a machine to install SQL 7.0. The install appears to run normally and then quits without an error message. Microsoft has documented that the SQL 7 installer won't work over TS, but if you're like me, you'll burn an hour trying to figure out the mystery before you go to msdn.

• quote:

Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/terminalservicesacoupletips.asp

We use both terminal services and a neat little tool called VNC.

http://www.realvnc.com/

Cheers

• The DBA team that I work on couldn't function without TS. We use it to adminster a number of servers based at various locations throughout the US, while our team is based in Ireland.

I hadn't come accross that neat trick using xp_cmdshell, but I can see it being used a lot in the future!

Dave.

Dave Leathem.
    It's just what we asked for but not what we want! (The Customer's Creed)

• Finally! The solution I've been waiting for.

Thank you - there may be a God after all.

• Great article. We use TS all the time. One feature not mentioned is the ability to cut and paste from you desktop to the TS session and visa versa.

• Thanks for the tip. We've used PCDuo, PCAnywhere, SMS, etc in past, but free TS/admin is great.

We were looking for the Terminal Services command line 'logoff session' a few weeks ago. Never did find it. Are there any other flags? Where are they documented.

Also, in Win2K, if you want to restrict to only one Admin session, use the configure tool, and restrict the NIC card to one session.

What's the business problem you're trying to solve?

What's the business problem you're trying to solve?

• Lou!!! Tell me about this feature of cutting and pasting...please. I have been needing this forever and couldn't find any way to do it.

BTW, I live by Terminal Services. When our SysAdmin restores the files for a database, using Terminal Services helps me do a search across the drives to find the files I need to use to attach the database.

The Windows 2003 feature will be nice.

Michelle Morris

Michelle

• Terminal Servers in admin mode rocks! Very handy for use on all internal servers for admins. Cut and Paste comes in handy for complex strings via keyboard shortcuts. Sitting at your desk sure beats the hum and chill of a large server room.

• SQL Server 2000 is "Terminal Services aware" while SQL Server 7.0 is not. That goes for their service packs as well. I believe I read it in one of their readmes (honest, I'm telling the truth, I did read the readme).

quote:

thanks for the useful sp code for dealing with all available connections being used up, Sometimes when my connection drops (very rare) i run into the same problem (sessions get orphaned perhaps) In the past i have used the IIS manager to reboot the server- your suggestion is a much better alternative for a production machine- thank you

For non-SQL Servers or systems where you have admin access but can't use xp_cmdshell, take a look at PSEXEC (part of the PSTools suite). You be looking to do something akin to:

psexec \\server cmd "/c query session"

PSTools Suite is available from SysInternals as a free download (source code as well).

http://www.sysinternals.com/

K. Brian Kelley

http://www.truthsolutions.com/

Author: Start to Finish Guide to SQL Server Performance Monitoring

http://www.netimpress.com/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• termserv rox! I remember when I was working for nordstrom.com we got an early setup of Win2k. Once I saw terminal server I knew this OS would fly. It blew PCAnywhere or WinVNC out of the water, in that there was negligible difference between being at the pc and being remotely connected to it.

I've always used the Client Connection Manager to handle my log-ins. You can set screen size (FULL!), apps to start up at login, etc.

cl

Signature is NULL

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply