tempdb Transaction Log File

• Hi Everyone

I come accross a very strange situation that transaction log file is full of tempdb database when I joined two tables and trying to insert the result set into some physical table TableA. The result set is as big as 50million records and my disk space is 28Gb available for tempdb log files. I really appreciate if any one suggest me some idea to join the tables and populate those results into some table TableA without filling tempdb transaction log file. (My maximum disk space is 28GB). Moreover I am not able to change the physical location of log file to a bigger disk because of SQL Server 2000 constraints.

Thanks,

Sekhar

• You'll need to reduce the size of the result set, or remove some things like ordering. What kind of 50M result set can you actually work with? If this is for export, why not bcp it out?

• quote: I am not able to change the physical location of log file to a bigger disk because of SQL Server 2000 constraints. :endquote

What constraints? I moved my log files to bigger disks without any problems.

-SQLBill

• Maybe no more disks around

• Okay, I'll buy that Steve...but my point is:

That isn't a "SQL Server 2000 constraint" (quote from original poster). That's a hardware constraint.

-SQLBill

• I am talking about Tempdb database log file not the main database log file. I tried to change the location of the tempdb log file but it is thrown an error that tempdb database log file physical location cannot changed.

Sekhar

• you can also add a second logfile for your tempdb

• How did you try to change it. I have moved my TEMPDB without any problem at all.

Great article for moving system databases:

Moving System Databases - A Checklist by Christoffer Hedgate

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/chedgate/movingsystemdatabasesachecklist.asp

-SQLBill

• One thing that MIGHT be causing that problem...I believe the TEMPDB data file AND log file must be moved together.

-SQLBill

• Can you divide the insert into smaller chunks? I did similar thing recently, was copying some 40 million rows into another DB (for archiving purposes) and the first attempt failed because of tempdb full. I adjusted the query so that it always copied only around 1 million rows, and had no problem completing the action then. Just find some column that you can use as a parameter - date, identity column or any other where you can be sure that nothing will be skipped or copied twice.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply