tempdb file placement

• Hi. I have a SAN with virtual arrays striped across all spindles. I have presented 2 * RAID 1 LUN's to SQL for tempdb placement. I have placed the log file on RAID 1a and the data file on RAID 1b.

Question: Would you place the data file on RAID 5?

Thanks,

Phil.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A neutron walks into a bar. "I'd like a beer" he says. The bartender promptly serves up a beer. "How much will that be?" asks the neutron. "For you?" replies the bartender, "no charge."

Two hydrogen atoms walk into a bar. One says, 'I think I've lost an electron.' The other says 'Are you sure?' The first says, 'Yes, I'm positive... '

Tommy Cooper

• per BOL:

If data must be quickly recoverable, consider mirroring the transaction log and putting the database on a RAID 5 disk. RAID 5 provides redundancy of all data on the array. This allows for a single disk to fail and be replaced most of the time without system down time. RAID 5 offers lower performance, compared to RAID 0 or RAID 1, but greater reliability and faster recovery.

• 2Tall (12/12/2011)

Hi. I have a SAN with virtual arrays striped across all spindles. I have presented 2 * RAID 1 LUN's to SQL for tempdb placement. I have placed the log file on RAID 1a and the data file on RAID 1b.

Thanks,

Phil.

If you are specifically looking for TempDB files placement, RAID 1+0 is recommonded for them as it provides excellent reading/writing speed. RAID 1 is also good (which you have used).

Sujeet Singh

• Dev (12/12/2011)

per BOL:

If data must be quickly recoverable, consider mirroring the transaction log and putting the database on a RAID 5 disk. RAID 5 provides redundancy of all data on the array. This allows for a single disk to fail and be replaced most of the time without system down time. RAID 5 offers lower performance, compared to RAID 0 or RAID 1, but greater reliability and faster recovery.

Rumor has it that RAID 10 is much better than RAID 5 for performance and offers similar features.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (12/12/2011)

Dev (12/12/2011)

per BOL:

Rumor has it that RAID 10 is much better than RAID 5 for performance and offers similar features.

No Doubt on it but RAID10 is costly compared to RAID5.

• 2Tall (12/12/2011)

Hi. I have a SAN with virtual arrays striped across all spindles. I have presented 2 * RAID 1 LUN's to SQL for tempdb placement. I have placed the log file on RAID 1a and the data file on RAID 1b.

Given a choice, no. It's not about disk redundancy or data recoverability (being TempDB and seeing that both RAID 1 and 5 allow for single disk failures), it's completely about performance. RAID 5 has about the worst write performance of the standard RAID levels and TempDB gets hammered on most normal implementations.

I'd strongly prefer RAID 10 or RAID 1 if given the choice. RAID 5 would be my last option.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Dev (12/12/2011)

Jeff Moden (12/12/2011)

Dev (12/12/2011)

per BOL:

So's RAID 1, but for TempDB RAID 5 is about the worst possible choice (other than RAID 0). For user databases it can be fine, for TempDB, not so much.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (12/12/2011)

Dev (12/12/2011)

Jeff Moden (12/12/2011)

Dev (12/12/2011)

per BOL:

So's RAID 1, but for TempDB RAID 5 is about the worst possible choice (other than RAID 0). For user databases it can be fine, for TempDB, not so much.

I didn't recommend RAID5 for TempDB. If you see my first post I highlighted its performance bottlenecks.

• Thanks to all who have taken time to post. RAID 1 it is then.

Kind Regards,

phil.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A neutron walks into a bar. "I'd like a beer" he says. The bartender promptly serves up a beer. "How much will that be?" asks the neutron. "For you?" replies the bartender, "no charge."

Two hydrogen atoms walk into a bar. One says, 'I think I've lost an electron.' The other says 'Are you sure?' The first says, 'Yes, I'm positive... '

Tommy Cooper

• Hello Phil,

If you do not have budget constraint, then go for Raid 10

otherwise, you already have other option

• Thanks,

Phil.

Tommy Cooper

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply