Tempdb data file fills up very often

• Hi,

What is the recovery model of your TempDB? Default is SIMPLE, and it should be. Autogrowth of 10% is not the best option.

Citing Erland:

Do you have any databases that uses any form of snapshot isolation? You can see how much space the version store takes up in this DMV: sys.dm_db_file_space_usage.

you should have control over these stuff...

TempDB databases have to have more files on busy systems. And as yours rises quickly then you'd better add more (maybe will have to extend the storage for tempdb). There are many recommendations for them, and some are:

- Starting with number of files = 1/4 of CPU cores and then monitor the tempdb and see the need for addition of more. Consider the trace flag 1118 (What is Paul's recommendation for using trace flag 1118? Everyone should turn it on, on all instances of SQL Server, from SQL Server 2000 onwards. There's no down-side to having it turned on - http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/paul/misconceptions-around-tf-1118/)

- Once I applied this nice article: https://www.simple-talk.com/sql/database-administration/optimizing-tempdb-configuration-with-sql-server-2012-extended-events/ and I got very good results.

You should invest quite a lot time on your tempdb, it's important.

Regards

IgorMi

Igor Micev,My blog: www.igormicev.com

• Microsoft recommend unlimited growth for temp databases.

Initial size should be 50 MB for all temp dbs with 500MB file growth with unlimited Max Growth. hope it helps

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*Brevity is the soul of wit.

• Angeltica (9/24/2013)

Microsoft recommend unlimited growth for temp databases.

Initial size should be 50 MB for all temp dbs with 500MB file growth with unlimited Max Growth. hope it helps

This is totally incorrect. You can't make a blanket recommendation for tempDB size, this is something that needs to be considered carefully based on the workload of the individual server. A 50MB tempDB will grow almost immediately on most servers I'm involved with and I don't manage large databases. The same applies for growth, you have to determine what it should be for your environment, ideally you will create tempDB with the max size it needs so it NEVER has to grow. Autogrow should be just for emergencies or before you really know what the max size you need is. In the OP's case, tempDB is growing and filling the drive, and it may not even need that much space, so setting the initial size properly will likely solve this problem.

• This is something what is being configured by Microsoft script best practice configuration. Depending on environment (hardware) we do create n number of temp databases. Also, we do 15 min tran log backup, and full database backup. Through our maintenance and best practice config we never had any issues with huge databases log files. Well, presume it is matter of experience. If I get a spec for the box, I could suggest some config options.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*Brevity is the soul of wit.

• Angeltica (9/24/2013)

This is something what is being configured by Microsoft script best practice configuration.

To be honest, I wouldn't trust some of MS's recommendations. You cannot make a blanket statement as to how big TempDB should be. I've had servers where TempDB was over 200GB. In fact, I can't recall a server that I've worked on in the last 5 years that got a 50MB TempDB, even my desktop has it set at a couple hundred MB. The size of TempDB is defined by the workload on the server, not some statement in some old best practices guide.

Also, we do 15 min tran log backup, and full database backup.

TempDB can't be backed up, and backup frequency of user databases won't have any effect on TempDB size

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Don't get me wrong, backup is against general databases. I had problem with tempDb trying to DBCC one of the biztalk with transactions logs databases.

And again, based on hardware, script configs each instance. Unlimited growth is option what is applied for every single tempDB on instance. Based on number of processes number of temp dbs is configured. For Db of 1.5 TB we are having 200 GB drive for temp db. It normally used around 150 GB. One of the things is for sure, you should not restrict tempdb growth.

Also with same success you could say: bin your MCDBA certificate 🙂

P.S.: I've been working at some organizations where they were happily running their business without proper instance configurations. Yep, restart always helped. But it doesn't mean it was done in correct way.

• GilaMonster (9/24/2013)

To be honest, I wouldn't trust some of MS's recommendations.

You cannot make a blanket statement as to how big TempDB should be.

+1 to both of those statements.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Angeltica (9/24/2013)

Microsoft recommend unlimited growth for temp databases.

Where's the MS link for that recommendation, please?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/paul/a-sql-server-dba-myth-a-day-1230-tempdb-should-always-have-one-data-file-per-processor-core/

Based on this article we are configuring out tempDB. But if it is expanding too much, you definitely have to have a look into code.

Here are some basic configurations:

ALTER DATABASE tempdb MODIFY FILE

(name = 'tempdev',

size = 50MB,

filegrowth = 500MB)

GO

(name = 'templog',

filegrowth = 50MB)

GO

--Create additional files for tempdb

--Files created at ratio of 1 file per processor core, up to a maximum of 8 files

-- as per recommendations made by Bob Ward at PASS 2011 conference

-- http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/paul/a-sql-server-dba-myth-a-day-1230-tempdb-should-always-have-one-data-file-per-processor-core/

DECLARE@cpu_count int

DECLARE@file_count int

DECLARE@logical_name sysname

DECLARE@file_name nvarchar(520)

DECLARE@physical_name nvarchar(520)

DECLARE@alter_command nvarchar(max)

SELECT @physical_name = physical_name

FROM tempdb.sys.database_files

WHERE name = 'tempdev'

SELECT @file_count = COUNT(*)

WHERE type_desc = 'ROWS'

SELECT @cpu_count = cpu_count

FROM sys.dm_os_sys_info

if @cpu_count > 8 set @cpu_count = 8

WHILE @file_count < @cpu_count

BEGIN

SELECT @logical_name = 'tempdev' + CAST(@file_count AS nvarchar)

SELECT @file_name = REPLACE(@physical_name, 'tempdb.mdf', @logical_name + '.ndf')

SELECT @alter_command = 'ALTER DATABASE [tempdb] ADD FILE ( NAME =N''' + @logical_name + ''', FILENAME =N''' + @file_name + ''', SIZE = 50MB, FILEGROWTH = 500MB)'

EXEC sp_executesql @alter_command

SELECT @file_count = @file_count + 1

END

--Allow advanced options to be changed.

EXEC sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1

GO

RECONFIGURE

GO

• Why are you altering model? If you're adding files to TempDB, add the files to TempDB, don't mess with model.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Corrected. Thank you.

• IgorMi (9/23/2013)

What is the recovery model of your TempDB? Default is SIMPLE, and it should be.

can we change it ? ??

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• Bhuvnesh (9/25/2013)

IgorMi (9/23/2013)

What is the recovery model of your TempDB? Default is SIMPLE, and it should be.

can we change it ? ??

You're right! It cannot be different from SIMPLE. Maybe it can be changed with a trick, however a good notice from you. I thought it could be changed, without reasoning a bit for its purpose.

Thanks,

IgorMi

Igor Micev,My blog: www.igormicev.com

• Angeltica (9/25/2013)

http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/paul/a-sql-server-dba-myth-a-day-1230-tempdb-should-always-have-one-data-file-per-processor-core/

Based on this article we are configuring out tempDB. But if it is expanding too much, you definitely have to have a look into code.

Here are some basic configurations:

(name = 'tempdev',

size = 50MB,

filegrowth = 500MB)

GO

(name = 'templog',

filegrowth = 50MB)

GO

--Create additional files for tempdb

--Files created at ratio of 1 file per processor core, up to a maximum of 8 files

-- as per recommendations made by Bob Ward at PASS 2011 conference

-- http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/paul/a-sql-server-dba-myth-a-day-1230-tempdb-should-always-have-one-data-file-per-processor-core/

DECLARE@cpu_count int

DECLARE@file_count int

DECLARE@logical_name sysname

DECLARE@file_name nvarchar(520)

DECLARE@physical_name nvarchar(520)

DECLARE@alter_command nvarchar(max)

SELECT @physical_name = physical_name

WHERE name = 'tempdev'

SELECT @file_count = COUNT(*)

WHERE type_desc = 'ROWS'

SELECT @cpu_count = cpu_count

FROM sys.dm_os_sys_info

if @cpu_count > 8 set @cpu_count = 8

WHILE @file_count < @cpu_count

BEGIN

SELECT @logical_name = 'tempdev' + CAST(@file_count AS nvarchar)

SELECT @file_name = REPLACE(@physical_name, 'tempdb.mdf', @logical_name + '.ndf')

SELECT @alter_command = 'ALTER DATABASE [tempdb] ADD FILE ( NAME =N''' + @logical_name + ''', FILENAME =N''' + @file_name + ''', SIZE = 50MB, FILEGROWTH = 500MB)'

EXEC sp_executesql @alter_command

SELECT @file_count = @file_count + 1

END

--Allow advanced options to be changed.

EXEC sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1

GO

RECONFIGURE

GO

That article isn't an MS article. It's by Paul Randal and he used to work for MS. I also don't see anywhere that he made the recommendation of only 50MB for the initial size of TempDB files. That's not a good idea, either. That means that TempDB has to grow every time you reboot the server.

I strongly recommend that the initial size of TempDB be set large enough so that no growth is actually expected whether you have multiple files or not.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• You do not need tempdb ndf file as large as you can make them. It is more than enough to put as 50 mb each. They will expand as much as needed during workload, just do not put hard growth restrictions.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply