TempDB best practices - Doubt

• No one here will be able to tell you what size your tempdb should be, if you have an ample amount of space on your drive or even better a dedicated drive \ mount point just set tempdb to a certain size (split across the number of data files you have chosen) and don't look back.

If you are restricted then start off with 4 1GB files + the log file, if you experience aggressive growth then you can change the size accordingly.

• HI !

As per my knowledge we cannot add .mdf files to tempdb database.just we can take only log backup's to reduce the size of databse

• shyamalarakesh (9/27/2013)

HI !

As per my knowledge we cannot add .mdf files to tempdb database.just we can take only log backup's to reduce the size of databse

Unfortunately, your knowledge is wrong on three counts. First, you can add files to tempdb. Second, you can't take log backups (or any backups) of tempdb. Third, even if you could, it wouldn't reduce the size of the database.

John

• I have a tendency to over provision TEMPDB. For a machine that has 16 cores or less I will create 1 file per core. Over 16 cores I will simply create somewhat larger individual files, using cores/2 or cores/4 for the number of files. I've allocated as little as 1mb per file to as much as 6mb per file depending on transaction load (or at least anticipated).

I will say this I have never had any latency issues with tempdb.

One thing I did have to do was modify at least 6 Sql Server boxes to move tempdb. By default the installer puts tempdb on the C: drive. I've had 2 server crashes shortly after I started and in both cases tempdb was on the C: drive and the C: drive ran out of room.

Today I've got the operations team allocating me 2 separate drives on separate LUNs for my tempdb set as RAID 1/0 on all new SQL Server instances.

Life is good.

Kurt

Kurt W. Zimmerman
    SR DBA
    Lefrak Organization
    New York, NY

http://www.linkedin.com/in/kurtwzimmerman

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply