Telework Works

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Telework Works

• Considering that the drive to work is 112 miles round trip, I'd love to see my company implement that right the heck now! 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• My current company, as well as the I'm starting with september 1st, both have adopted teleworking intensively. Both driven by the lack or shortage of office space. I love it!

Cees

• How do you ensure proper productivity and avalability for each employee? Some people have to deal with at home interruptions of various forms effecting their personal efficiency. I see a large accountabilty issue here with reguards to time. When you are at the office the enviroment is controlled to a large extent, making it possible for employees to focus on their assignments. I think that working from home is great for the occassional midnight hour problem, but not routine work. I see the loss of employee interaction during in progress projects as well.

• Steve, you may have discovered the hook that will force our managers to take telecommuting seriously.

I worked for a company that was beginning to implement this practice before the dotcom meltdown a few years back. All employees were issued laptops instead of desktops. Permanent cubicles were being replaced with "workstations" where anyone could plug their laptop into a dock. This way you could still have 'face to face' meetings.

Of course, if anything like this is ever implemented, managers will have to start improving their techniques for management. Right now, the most popular technique appears to be "worker is at their desk and I can see them = they must be working".

And of course, there has been just enough time for our managers to forget how things get gummed up when you outsource your entire operation overseas. Allowing telecommuting from the next town appears as easy as allowing telecommuting from China at first glance. We also need a way to remind companies that bad management is not improved by running wires overseas. The longer the wire, the more difficult it is to manage a resource.

• psmith (8/18/2008)

How do you ensure proper productivity and avalability for each employee? Some people have to deal with at home interruptions of various forms effecting their personal efficiency. I see a large accountabilty issue here with reguards to time. When you are at the office the enviroment is controlled to a large extent, making it possible for employees to focus on their assignments. I think that working from home is great for the occassional midnight hour problem, but not routine work. I see the loss of employee interaction during in progress projects as well.

That's exactly the worries the employers had when they first started it. As we're paid the big bucks, we can also be responsible for our time to fulfill the emplyment requirements. As it happens, productivity rises. Most workers have a separate working place at home to shield them from distractions. Interaction is important, but that's why they pay my phone and internet bills. As with all work delegation, there's still the need to check up on people and keep an eye on progress. That's easily accomplished with task goals, time sheets, etc. People tend to work longer and more productive from a home environment. Here in Holland it's fairly common in IT.

I use hardware tokens to get secure access to servers and stuff. Development is easier at home, as I'm not distracted by people wanting to know the most mundane stuff and/or want to talk about the lastest sports events. That has it's time and place as well, as I'm in the office at least once a month. Used to be once a week, but that wasn't productive 😛

One problem that might arise is that people might work too long, without the need to. Just because it's easy to sit down and tackle that extra problem after dinner weth the kids in bed. Emploeyers should keep a tab on that, as it might cause marital problems.

Cees

• In the article about Sun, it mentions that energy consumption was compared by measuring office equipment against home office use. It does not mention anything about the extra energy costs associated with staying at home - air conditioning, gas heat, additional utility use, etc... Although I'm sure the gap between office and home energy use still favors working at home, it would seem it's not as large as the study suggests.

I can see how telecommuting would greatly benefit those who have large commutes. Personally, I live fairly close to work and spend about $50 every two weeks on gas. If I worked at home my home energy bills would definitely increase more for the same period. Although, the "luxury" of not having to rush to work every morning may balance things out. 🙂

• I've been hearing about this topic for some years, and in my experience the companies still want to see you sit down in a chair inside the company.

This is a great idea, but unfortunately isn't for everyone.

In my opinion some personal characteristics the professional needs: well-organized, time management, responsible, trustworthy.

It's possible and nowadays a reality for few people, not only in a specific Country, but around the World.

---------------------
    Alex Rosa
    http://www.keep-learning.com/blog

• Why would you worry about productivity at home v the office? Plenty of people gab, goof off, walk around at the office and don't get things done.

You measure results. I ask you to do xxx in yyy time and you get it done or not. If you can't get it done at home, you lose the privilege of working there. If you can't get it done in the office, you find another job. Or maybe we skip the second chance and start hiring when you can't work at home.

Time sheets, tracking logins, they're all silly. Measure results. You get work done or not done.

As for energy, I'm not sure about how things might change if you were at home. Plenty of people don't change their heat/AC during the day, some do. Maybe you have less equipment at home than they keep going at work, harder to heat at work (has been in many offices), etc.

• Steve Jones - Editor (8/18/2008)

Why would you worry about productivity at home v the office? Plenty of people gab, goof off, walk around at the office and don't get things done.

Steve, I have heard you comment in your editorials about how loud the Kids are. Which is not a bad thing mind you, but it makes it hard to concentrate. (i.e. my point about home distractions)

Also, working as part of the team I am in direct control of employee focus. So far this is a good thing....

• psmith (8/18/2008)

How do you ensure proper productivity and avalability for each employee? Some people have to deal with at home interruptions of various forms effecting their personal efficiency. I see a large accountabilty issue here with reguards to time. When you are at the office the enviroment is controlled to a large extent, making it possible for employees to focus on their assignments. I think that working from home is great for the occassional midnight hour problem, but not routine work. I see the loss of employee interaction during in progress projects as well.

While I would LOVE to, I haven’t had the opportunity to telecommute yet; however, I can note two things: First, when I was going for my certification, I was studying at home – not taking classes. My 5 year old son was home with me and knew (and was able to respect) that certain hours of the day, I was “doing homework” and was off limits – or rather, my office was off limits. It worked just fine! I scheduled my “breaks” to coincide with breakfast, lunch, etc. I was able to balance his attention/educational needs with my productivity. Actually, I loved it, since being with him during my breaks was, hands down, the best stress reliever imaginable. I went back to work refreshed and ready to concentrate on the task at hand. Not to mention, I didn’t have the cost of Day Care to contend with, which – as any parent knows – can be quite expensive for a reliable, trustworthy caregiver.

My second observation is regarding energy consumption. As for heating/cooling costs, there may be some give or take, but look at the most basic office equipment. Let’s say – at a minimum – that you have your computer, a monitor, a printer and/or scanner and a fax machine. Yes, they would still have all these – and have to run them – at your office; but the commercial machines use MUCH more energy to operate than an “at home” model. Also, generally the machines in an office are never turned off, while that may be true of your home equipment as well, it still equals a much lower energy output overall.

• Steve Jones - Editor (8/18/2008)

As for energy, I'm not sure about how things might change if you were at home. Plenty of people don't change their heat/AC during the day, some do. Maybe you have less equipment at home than they keep going at work, harder to heat at work (has been in many offices), etc.

I guess it depends on where you live. In Chicago, the summers are hot and the winters are cold. Normally during the day to conserve energy, the temp on AC is turned up for summers and turned down on furnace for winters. If I were home during the week, that would have to change.

• I read the Sun article and the measurement seemed way too simplistic. If all they did was give out Kill A Watts and measure the output from 1 outlet, it is not enough to support their conclusions. Was the difference in employees using laptops vs desktops? Bigger monitors at work? Obviosly heating/cooling was not measured. For people like me with programmable thermostats (that mostly shut the house off when were out), our energy use would increase. This seemed like some marketing brochure touting a not very well tested benefit. The commute is probably the biggest savings. I bike to work so my savings would be minimal (I could eat a few less calories!). But for those with a hefty commute I could see where even telecommuting a few days a week would be a great idea. Just make sure to get a soundproof room with good locks so the kids don't cause too many interruptions!

With all the US's problems with oil and our ever more polluted skies, I am glad to see people at least thinking about these ideas - now they just need some better science in their studies.

• psmith (8/18/2008)

Steve Jones - Editor (8/18/2008)

Why would you worry about productivity at home v the office? Plenty of people gab, goof off, walk around at the office and don't get things done.

Steve, I have heard you comment in your editorials about how loud the Kids are. Which is not a bad thing mind you, but it makes it hard to concentrate. (i.e. my point about home distractions)

Also, working as part of the team I am in direct control of employee focus. So far this is a good thing....

I've found that co-workers are as much or more of a distraction than my 3 kids. I can tell my kids go play in that room or outdoors while the co-worker talking loudly on the phone or listening to music in the next cube I have no control over.

I actually prefer going to the office because to me home is for relaxing or doing things that may be work-related, but are "fun".

In order for telework to work the person needs to have office space at home where the family knows when your in there with the door closed you are "at work" so only disturb when absolutely necessary. I don't have that space right now, so working from home, when it happens, is a chore.

• I had the opportunity to work from home 1 day week with my previous employer. I could easily get more work done that one day a week than I could while in the office. I had fewer interruptions at home, as my kids were in school and when they weren't, they knew I was at work when I was in my office. they only "bothered" me if it was important.

My wife worked from home for 9 years. She worked 35 hours a week, and did more work than those who worked 40 hours a week in the office. Her audits were always excellent, but because she worked at home they wouldn't give her a promotion to a training position. She could just as easily travel to various offices from our home as she could if working in an office. A solid example of a success story for telecomuting as any and also for the possible "hazards".

Personally, I'd love to telecomute 2 or 3 days a week. More than that, I'd think I'd start having distraction issues at home. Oh, I'm behind on watching Army Wifes, or gees, let's watch 10 seasons of Stargate SG-1...

😎

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply