Teams meeting Required to explain a list that has a table embedded in it.

• I was told to produce a report broken down into customers with the name and address at top of the letter and a list of invoices and each break down of items listed in the invoice.

Looked like a list with a table embedded and the invoice number staggered with line items and cost below.

Please someone help me in teams i am sure it will take 5 mins but i am spending hours trying to research it and finding nothing.

I was thinking of how to present this in a letter form with indentations

i guess the query will return all rows of customer name, address, invoice, job, cost

then we do a parent group on customer etc

• Sorry this is an SSRS Reporting services problem

• robertukoli22 wrote:

Sorry this is an SSRS Reporting services problem

IIRC, you can edit the title of your own original post.

And, are you seriously stuck with SSRS 2008?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Just want to point out that requesting a teams meeting with complete strangers on a forum because you are having trouble with a report is a very uncommon thing to ask. NORMALLY if you are asking for a teams meeting, even a 5 minute meeting, you are hiring a consultant and they will be billing hours.

Reaching out on a free forum like this, you are more likely to get help if you can explain the problem, provide sample data (if applicable), provide current unworking solution (if applicable), provide current output (if applicable), and provide expected output (if applicable).

But to me it sounds like you are trying to create a matrix report in SSRS with multiple values for what groups a row. Not sure what you have now and what you are trying to do, but it sounds like the data retrieval isn't the issue - it is the presentation layer. If that is the case, then it shouldn't be too hard as you just need to make the report and add grouping on the columns/rows as you see fit.

Microsoft even has a good example of a matrix report here:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/tutorial-creating-a-matrix-report-report-builder?view=sql-server-ver16

If you skip over the rotating text part, you have the indented stuff you were talking about presented in that example - it is the section that mentions the "row grouping".

Tutorial is for a newer SSRS, but I believe it still applies to 2008 if I remember right...

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• I have attached a file to try to explain more.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply