TDE and Filestream

• EXACTLY! - From the page you quoted

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb934049.aspx

Transparent Data Encryption and FILESTREAM DATA

FILESTREAM data is not encrypted even when TDE is enabled.

So you typed in the wrong answer for the key. :w00t:

Rick Karpel

• Well, the up side to a question that isn't behaving well? I end up doing more research to double check myself - and invariably learn something new in the process.

-Ki

• bitbucket-25253 (6/29/2011)

... Stop picking on Steve as excellent as he is, (proof - this site) he like the rest of us occassionaly makes an error. NOT a big deal, after all in answering the question you either tested your knowledge or learned something new. Hence QOD object achieved.

I fully agree with you!

Thank you very much,

Michael

• bitbucket-25253 (6/29/2011)

call.copse (6/29/2011)

Glad I'm not the only one confused!

I'm going to have to submit my own question sooon just so we get one with a correct answer :hehe:

Please do submit a QOD - and for your guidance read:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/62764/

The Question of the Day is just what it's titled: a daily question about some aspect of databases or SQL Server. It's designed to be a learning mechanism with a bit of fun and competition built into it

Having had some 40 QODs published, let me alert you to a simple fact, that is, It is not easy.

And because of that I have a request .... Stop picking on Steve as excellent as he is, (proof - this site) he like the rest of us occassionaly makes an error. NOT a big deal, after all in answering the question you either tested your knowledge or learned something new. Hence QOD object achieved.

Couldn't agree more. He's human like the rest of us, and if books are being balanced is right far, far, far more than wrong.

H.

• I want to back up BitBucket. We all make mistakes - and let's face it, if it wasn't for Steve and a couple of others this site would not even exist.

I never knew people were so precious about their points!!

Mike.

• What's happening?

I'm going crazy!!!

Filestream data is not encrypted even when TDE is enabled.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• ron, i agree with you!!! sorry, Steve!!!! you must be tired!!! the stress of work and this forum, isn't easy!!!!

nobody is perfect!!!! everyone fail!!! Steve, you are a GREAT TEACHER of SQL Server!!!!

i think so!!!

the jokes are just fun!!!

[font="Times New Roman"]rfr.ferrari[/font]
    DBA - SQL Server 2008
    MCITP | MCTS

remember is live or suffer twice!
    the period you fastest growing is the most difficult period of your life!
  • The answer seems to be "No"

• Apparently someone did not read the referenced article before submitting the QOD:

Transparent Data Encryption and FILESTREAM DATA

• bitbucket-25253 (6/28/2011)

So are these incorrect:

which states:

After yesterday's question, I was glad to see one that I was SURE I got right. Looks like I'm living in a Bizarro universe - either that, or Steve's polarity has been switched by Greek hackers protesting actually having to pay for their social welfare programs.

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• I am so confused now...

Seems that I am not the only one. How can the answer be one and the explanation be the other???

Steve Jimmo
    Sr DBA
    “If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

• Wow... I understood yesterdays question being caused by bad definition of the Execution Plan concept.

I guess this is another day for a free point. 😛

• mike.mcquillan (6/29/2011)

I want to back up BitBucket. We all make mistakes - and let's face it, if it wasn't for Steve and a couple of others this site would not even exist.

I never knew people were so precious about their points!!

Mike.

I agree. Stuff happens. It's one point. The key point here is ... alot of people went and found the justification for the correct answer.

• I was totally lost

TDE and Filestream

If you enable TDE on a database that has FILESTREAM and the FILESTREAM data is stored locally on the instance (not a remote BLOB store), is the FILESTREAM data encrypted?

Sorry - you were wrong

Correct answer: Yes

Explanation: Filestream data is not encrypted when you enable TDE.

Ref: Understanding TDE - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb934049.aspx

Is the Filestream data encrypted? Yes, it is not encrypted...

ummmm huh?

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply