TDE and Filegroups

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item TDE and Filegroups

• First again!

Good question - I guessed correctly, but still leaned a new fact for the day. Cool.

• Far from being the first to answer the question and most likely not the last to learn more about a complex subject. Thanks Steve for introducing me a facet of SQL that I had not investigated before.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Good question.

Thank you.

• Great question - definitely learnt something new today.

Thanks

• Thank you Steve, I found the answer after searching for sometime 😛

M&M

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Nice question!

• Interesting question today.

• Good question on a new feature.

http://brittcluff.blogspot.com/

• Being more of a DB programmer than an admin at the moment, this was a good excuse to learn something I ought to know, certainly in the near future. Thanks for the question!

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• Per article (Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) SQL Server 2008 by Roy Ernest, 2009/05/04) implementation will not "fail" but will not complete.

"If you look at sys.dm_database_encryption_keys, you will see that the column Encryption_state shows that the value is 2 instead of 3. Value 2 means Encryption in progress. Since the filegroup is set as read-only, the encryption state will not be reached."

Did not do an exhaustive search for other view points or newer info so did not select fail as the answer. The example in the article also was not split with read/write and read only so that may be the difference.

This is still a great learning tool, I know not to try and encrypt read only filegroups or filestream data.

Thanks Steve.

Al Kessler
    It's too bad that
    Common Sense Isn't

• SQL Server has so many "Do-This-only-after-you-do-that-first" and "You-can't-do-that-even-if-you-think-it's-logically-possible" issues that it would take 99999999 QotDs. 😛

But it's still one of the best DBMSs around.

Thank you for this question. Learned something new.

Best regards,

Best regards,

Andre Guerreiro Neto

Database Analyst
    http://www.softplan.com.br
    MCITPx1/MCTSx2/MCSE/MCSA

• Good question but a little difficult for a Monday.

• Got it wrong, but the explanation definitely makes sense. Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply