TDE administration for 500 databases

• Good morning All
    I have a few questions about TDE  for sql 2016
    We planning to implement TDE for  500 prod databases, those dbs are small, average 2GB per db
    from time to time we back those up and use them to refresh our QA environment data....for all 500dbs
    here is my question,
    do i need to specify a decryption key for every single database during the QA restore or do i just temporary disable encryption on prod and  qa
    restore databases to qa and then just re-enable encryption???
    btw, we use dynamic restore script for those 500 dbs...so i am not sure how  those 500 unique (per database)decryption keys can be specified for those dbs

thank you for you help!!

• Are all these dbs on the same instance? Or really, do they all use the same certificate to protect the DEK (databsae encryption key)? The DEK is in each TDE database, but it isn't backed up or restored. The certficate that encrypts it, which should exist in the master db, is the one you need to restore to QA. If there are different ones, you can restore all of them to QA, though they need different names.

Keep in mind this compromises security a bit, so protect your QA server.

• You don't need to specify a decryption key to back up the databases, but you also can't just disable encryption either.
    What you need to do to backup a TDE-protected database to be able to restore it (in a non-TDE protected environment) is:
    1.  Decrypt the database
    2.  Drop the database encryption key (note, this is NOT the certificate used for encrypting the database!)
    3.  Backup the database
    4.  Re-create the database encryption key (protected by the certificate)
    5.  Enable encryption

So, with 500 databases, your refresh is going to take a fair bit of time.  If you skip step 2, the backup will still not be restorable to another system (learned this through experience.)

An alternative, but bear in mind this also has some risks associated with it, would be to take the certificate used to encrypt your databases in production and copy it (or them, if you're using many) to your QA environment.  Then you can just backup the databases and restore them as normal in QA.

• SD1999 - Wednesday, January 17, 2018 11:01 AM

Good morning All
    We planning to implement TDE for  500 prod databases, those dbs are small, average 2GB per db
    from time to time we back those up and use them to refresh our QA environment data....for all 500dbs
    here is my question,
    do i need to specify a decryption key for every single database during the QA restore or do i just temporary disable encryption on prod and  qa
    btw, we use dynamic restore script for those 500 dbs...so i am not sure how  those 500 unique (per database)decryption keys can be specified for those dbs

thank you for you help!!

This topic was addressed in the following thread:
    Restoring a TDE enabled database question

• SD1999 - Wednesday, January 17, 2018 11:01 AM

Good morning All

firstly, 500??  :w00t:

SD1999 - Wednesday, January 17, 2018 11:01 AM

here is my question,

thank you for you help!!

You cannot just unencrypt the database and expect to move it from one instance to another and think that things will be fine and dandy, they likely won't.
    Even when you remove TDE there may still be portions of the log which haven't been truncated that are encrypted and this requires the certificate which was used to encrypt the Database Encryption Key in the first place.

You're going to need to think very carefully here and here's just a sample of the questions to ask

• Do I really need to encrypt all these databases, can I not just harden my Windows Server Environment to protect the database disk files and backup files
    • Do I want to be moving copies of my Prod certificate to lower level environments
    • Will I have any sort of regular requirements to send copies of databases to vendors for support purposes

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply