Talking baseball

• I just made the connection. The Aberdeen IronBirds play at Ripken Stadium in Maryland. They are also a Class A (Orioles affiliate) but in the NY-Pen league! I've driven by this stadium for many years on my way to Massachusetts and never remembered to find out who plays there, now I know 🙂

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• I've thought that building for Denver would be the thing. Get back to the Blake Street Bombers and find hitters, guys that smack the ball and go for offense. The pitching thing hasn't worked out well, though we've had a few that have gone on to success elsewhere.

• I'm also thinking that the Rockies would be served well by a manager who thinks outside the box, a la Tony LaRussa. Maybe someone who knows how to creatively manage a pitching staff -- can we say six-man starting rotation?

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Ray K (7/29/2014)

I think the Rockies might be at a disadvantage simply because of their geography. Pitching in thinner air a mile high puts quite a bit of stress on a pitching staff, even with baseballs out of a humidor.

This is always an interesting topic for me and I'm not sure if we've discussed it here before. The Rockies have a distinct advantage (or disadvantage) being able to play half their games at home in that thin air. Similar to Fenway having a short right field or Minute Maid Park (Astros) having that funky flag pole out in center, the home team has a distinct advantage ( or disadvantage) based solely on park design. Their players are familiar with playing defense in such designs and visiting teams are at a disadvantage not knowing where the pole is (Minute Maid), how far a ball normally travels (Coors Field), how a ball bounces off a fenced scoreboard (Nationals Stadium).

Symmetrical parks are no fun, they have no character but they probably provide for the most fair settings for a visiting team. If the Rockies can embrace the thin air by building their team around the long ball then their pitching staff wouldn't suffer so bad. They might suffer in larger stadiums at sea-level but they'll have a huge advantage for at least half of their games.

This gets into ballpark design. Older stadiums like Fenway, Wrigley Field, and (Old) Yankees Stadium were built to fit into their surroundings. Asymmetrical designs were a result of geography and fitting a stadium into a city. Nowadays stadiums are built and cities conform to the stadiums. BUT the question I pose is, how much does park design weigh on an owners mind when building a new stadium? Does an owner decide to move to a new stadium that has a distinct advantage for the home team or do they move to a symmetrical stadium that is most fair for both teams, to his team's own detriment?

Interesting stuff!

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• Ray K (7/29/2014)

I'm also thinking that the Rockies would be served well by a manager who thinks outside the box, a la Tony LaRussa. Maybe someone who knows how to creatively manage a pitching staff -- can we say six-man starting rotation?

I'd say be way outside. Forget starters. Build a 10 man, long relief rotation, with each of them going every 5 days, 3-4 innings. Use fewer short relief guys.

But get some mashers. Aim for the team HR title.

• Pete Rose.. # of games with the Reds 2722 LOL

• Yeah, me too.

I did get down to Yankee Stadium back in June. At least I can say I got to see him play live in his final season.

I'm hoping to get to another game before this season is over, but my schedule is filling up pretty quickly, so I'm not sure if it's going to happen.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• #farewellcaptain

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152735424432451

• +100

• I had friends who were there; in fact, last night, I saw Facebook posts from three different friends who were all at the game.

I had to settle for watching it on TV, and it was quite the spectacle!!!

He will definitely be missed.

• Talk about an ugly post-season...

The Tigers get blown out in 3 games, and were really only in it for the last game...

• .... AND the Royals knock off the Angels.

• Kansas City vs. Baltimore for the AL pennant -- who would've thunk? Too bad Pittsburgh was knocked off -- I would've loved to have seen Pittsburgh vs. Kansas City in the World Series!

At some point, I would love to see Washington vs. Seattle in the Series!

Viewing 15 posts - 1,381 through 1,395 (of 1,972 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply