Talking baseball

• Meant to post here, the guys on the local radio were talking after a loss for the Rockies. They went on about the designated pitcher, since a situation occurred where a pitching change was used to work on the 7th hitter, knowing that this was bad for the 8th, but they could walk him and then throw at the pitcher.

The argument is that
    a) it's silly to have different rules for the leagues. What sport does this?
    b)  the game has evolved, so let's evolve
    c) don't we want to see the best players play? Pitchers aren't remotely the best players at the plate

I  tend to agree. Batting is a skill that takes regular practice. Pitchers going every 4-5 days isn't enough and it hurts the game from a fan's standpoint. Purists might like it, but really, most of them know this is an extremely low percentage at-bat, no matter who the pitcher is.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Tuesday, August 14, 2018 9:31 AM

Meant to post here, the guys on the local radio were talking after a loss for the Rockies. They went on about the designated pitcher, since a situation occurred where a pitching change was used to work on the 7th hitter, knowing that this was bad for the 8th, but they could walk him and then throw at the pitcher.

The argument is that
    a) it's silly to have different rules for the leagues. What sport does this?
    b)  the game has evolved, so let's evolve
    c) don't we want to see the best players play? Pitchers aren't remotely the best players at the plate

I  tend to agree. Batting is a skill that takes regular practice. Pitchers going every 4-5 days isn't enough and it hurts the game from a fan's standpoint. Purists might like it, but really, most of them know this is an extremely low percentage at-bat, no matter who the pitcher is.

I'll admit to having mixed feelings.  For pretty much my entire life, I've followed a team that plays in a league that uses the DH, so I don't know anything else.  On the other hand, as a semi-baseball purist, I also understand the strategic intrigue of working around the pitcher's spot in the lineup.

I suppose if I had to pick one or the other, I'd go with the universal DH.  I've seen too many instances of pitchers getting hurt, sometimes adversely affecting their careers, while running the basepaths (Chien-Ming Wang comes to mind).  Besides, wasn't it the NL that first proposed the idea of a DH back in 1930-something?

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• below86 - Monday, July 23, 2018 2:10 PM

below86 - Thursday, June 28, 2018 8:29 AM

below86 - Thursday, March 29, 2018 2:02 PM

2018 World Series Champs, Pirate's!!  🙂   Heck, I'll be happy if they finish above 500, the bums. 

We are not quit halfway through the season and they are already circling the drain.  Pathetic!!

I can't believe my eyes, the hottest team in baseball, as of this moment, won 9 in a row.  I just know they are going to get my hopes up, only to have it all come crashing down.

I knew it was to good to be true.  How do you make trades to 'try' to make the team better for a run at the playoffs and end up making the team worse?  How I say?  Oh yeah, we are talking about the Pittsburgh Pirates.  The bums.  I need an emoji with a paper bag over its head.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• below86 - Friday, September 14, 2018 8:46 AM

below86 - Monday, July 23, 2018 2:10 PM

2018 World Series Champs, Pirate's!!  🙂   Heck, I'll be happy if they finish above 500, the bums. 

We are not quit halfway through the season and they are already circling the drain.  Pathetic!!

I can't believe my eyes, the hottest team in baseball, as of this moment, won 9 in a row.  I just know they are going to get my hopes up, only to have it all come crashing down.

I knew it was to good to be true.  How do you make trades to 'try' to make the team better for a run at the playoffs and end up making the team worse?  How I say?  Oh yeah, we are talking about the Pittsburgh Pirates.  The bums.  I need an emoji with a paper bag over its head.

I refuse to give another dime to Nutting.  This team was very close 5 years ago, and they did nothing.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Michael L John - Friday, September 14, 2018 8:51 AM

below86 - Friday, September 14, 2018 8:46 AM

below86 - Monday, July 23, 2018 2:10 PM

I refuse to give another dime to Nutting.  This team was very close 5 years ago, and they did nothing.

Image result for paper bag over head charlie brown

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• Rockies are hanging in there. A month ago they had like a 13% chance of making the playoffs. Now may win their first division title

• We're down to the last week or so!

AL is pretty much set (save for the wild card home field), but NL is still up for grabs!  Any thoughts as to how it will play out?

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Wednesday, September 26, 2018 2:35 PM

Be careful what you pray for - the two tie-breaker game scenario is on! Crazy weekend of baseball. 

It all comes down to game 163.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• below86 - Friday, September 14, 2018 8:46 AM

I guess i should be happy they finished above 500.  Now if only the Steelers could get above 500, the bums.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• Alan.B - Monday, October 1, 2018 6:09 AM

Be careful what you pray for - the two tie-breaker game scenario is on! Crazy weekend of baseball. 

It all comes down to game 163.

It's not the 4 way tie, but close enough. We're in, with all four teams in. It's just deciding who is the division champ and who's the WC.

• And then there were two!  Baseball's version of Boston vs. LA!  Instead of Bird and Magic, we have Mookie and Clayton!

(And speaking as a Yankee fan...  go Dodgers! :D)

• Ditto, go Dodgers.

• Congrats, Boston.

Next year, Yankees!

• Oh happy day...the Dodgers lost!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
    Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,906 through 1,920 (of 1,972 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply